1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG, Ewido, BitDefender, Dr. Web

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ShiVER, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShiVER

ShiVER Thread Starter

1) My computer has all four of these antivirus programs. Which one should
    have its scanner set as the primary scanner (active scan all the time) ? :confused:

2) Also, WindowsXP does not detect any antivirus programs on my machine
    and always displays a bubble on the lower right to remind me of this every
    time I turn on or reboot. This is loyal, but also tiresome. :eek: (y) (n)

3) And finally, what other antivirus programs would be good to have to be
    sure to repel these horrid, frightful little rebels?

2. Hopey

Hopey

You should only ever use one antivirus in realtime, otherwise you can have serious conflicts and will probably be less protected than just running one antivirus, as they will stop each other from working properly (or crash your system entirely). Windows does not detect all antivirus', also the fact you have so many may be confusing it.

Ewido is not an antivirus, so keep ewido and choose one of the three virus scanners you are running that you like the best and keep it. If I was you I would fully uninstall your other two AV's and only have one on my system.

Hopey

3. ShiVER

ShiVER Thread Starter

That's understandable for the sake of stability and performance. I have the three because one AV might find a virus where the another might not. Unless I'm missing a workaround, I can periodically reinstall an AV, update, scan and cure, un-install, and repeat with another AV. I'm leaning towards keeping BitDefender.

So what do you think: Keep AVG, or keep BitDefender?

4. jparr111

jparr111

Hey Shiver.
    I personally use AVG for anti-virus protection. I back that up with Trend Micro's FREE on-line scan.(no "add/removing" programs that way)
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

5. Hopey

Hopey

Hi ShiVER,
    Choose which one you like the best as everyones different in their preferences and how well that particular AV will run on their system. Whichever one you choose you can always back it up with free online scans for the best protection, there's several free online scanners you probably have already heard of; Bitdefender online scan, Kaspersky, Panda active scan, Trendmicro housecall, Symantec security check, Mcafee and a couple of others that I forget.
    Personally, I would choose AVG to keep, as it's very light on resources and easy to use.
    Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Hopey

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I have not 'experimented' with anti-virus programs. However, AVG has totally protected me for several years. Based on my experience, I can recommend it. Of course, I am not a "surfer", so my experience might be different if I were.
    Just be sure to follow the practice of having only one av program active at any one time.
    For what it is worth, below is a list of my security programs.
    {redoak}
    ZoneLabs free firewall
    AVG anti-virus
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Spybot S and D
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    EWIDO- extended trial version
    A-squared- extended trial version
    CWShredder
    Bazooka

All are free or have a free version

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice