1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG Free after Norton Anti Virus

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I've decided to deep six all my Norton products--NAV, Norton Internet Security, GoBack, and even Password Manager, which by itself seems to work ok without hijacking my computer and doing things I didn't tell it to do!

I've also decided to download and use AVG Free.

Is it best to uninstall NAV completely first, before even downloading AVG Free, much less installing it?

Will I encounter problems down the road if I only use the Control Panel/Uninstall routine to uninstall any and all Norton software, or would I be better served to use Norton's uninstall routine from their website?

Thx in advance.

Tom

2. SlackAli

SlackAli Account Closed

I had Norton Internet Security on my spare computer which I replaced with AVG free - no complaints with the latter btw(y)

I used CP>Add/Remove, but also manually removed all Symantec registry entries just to be safe. No subsequent problems

3. Moby

Moby

4. raramuristar

raramuristar

SlackAli:

I would very much appreciate your telling me, what is the real meaning of "DEEP SIX"

I remember having heard it or read it somewhere, but I never knew its meaning. Can you help? Thanks in advance.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

6. Treasurerat

Treasurerat

i concur...running win 98 se with norton internet hosed up everything for me..dumped it and went with the free avg...not one problem!!!

7. raramuristar

raramuristar

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is the meaning.

9. Dreusx

Dreusx

AVG has saved a dozen of my friends computers from melting down.
    I do not trust Norton as it had issues with upgrading to a different year/version.
    Someone sent us unwanted dangerous files right as we disabled and uninstalled the older version.
    Needless to say it was not a good night for the script reading techies on the other line of our phone.
    After I got AVG on my computer it finds everything.
    I say "deep-six" X 345678987654 that norton and get AVG. AVG = Awesome.

10. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

11. new tech guy

new tech guy

When you uninstall norton through add/remove and if you come across problems i think the norton website has removal utilities to remove their software. But for the security, i did not have norton but i had the other bloat of mcafee which i wiped for avg free and zone alarm free and have no complaints about anything.

12. notdbritest

notdbritest

For what it's worth, you're going the same route I did. I've been very happy with AVG's free version after I got rid of Norton. I'm using AVG on one of our computers and Avast on the other. I like the way AVG operates better than I do Avast. Either is an improvement over Norton, if for no other reasons than that they don't try to take over your computer and their not resource hogs.

13. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well i had avast free on a pc and did not care for its way of dealing with viruses. It would find them but not do a very good job of cleaning because after i would "clean" so to speak, it would just come back with the virus on next reboot. Had a worm once in aim and that was a fun time trying to get avast to remove. So personally i never had a virus during my short time with avg free but i hope its better at cleaning than avast.

14. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Hardly, anecdotal evidence not backed up by any real testing.

My favorite quotes from PCWorld's tests:

None of the three free antivirus products tested for the "The New Virus Fighters" ranked highly, but Grisoft's AVG Antivirus Free Edition holds the distinct honor of having placed last among all ten paid and free contenders due to a clunky interface, the omission of significant features, and below-average performance.

Upshot: Limited features and poor performance make AVG Free Edition an inferior choice even among the free antivirus products.

15. new tech guy

new tech guy

Mystic, the reason i beleive for all the negative storming around avg i think is because it was never noticed to have herustic techniques in it but it does. Go into the shield settings in the avg control panel and you will see a tick box for herustic and all you have to do is check it. I have AVG and zonealarm teamed up with webroot spy sweeper and have had no problems. Havent had a virus come through yet but when it happens we will see how good avg's detection rates are. And how is it clunky? Its tiny and quick. And should hopefully have some good detection and cleaning rates. Thats what matters. NOT the interface. Also, mystic, i would like to read that article from PC World. I had personal experience with avast as well and IT WOULD NOT CLEAN A THING IT FOUND. The only av i truely liked if i did have the money for is EZ- trust antivirus by computer associates. Any virus that i may have gotten it removes it like it was nothig.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice