1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG free antivirus 8.5

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by neofan3, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

It detected Trojans from Regclean and gothic gold*. Actually it says that regclean is Trojan. Sounds pretty strange. Anybody find the same thing?

* Both just installed.

Now, I switched to Rising AntivirusFree.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well RegClean is garbage - useless and a waste of time and can actually do more damage to a computer then good. I`d removed RegClean and keep AVG. Or for better free antivirus try Avast! or Avira.

3. Bichey

Bichey

AVG ?? throw it out of the window. If you continue to use it, soon you will find viruses playing on your desktop. It is the worst A/V i hav ever seen. As TripleH said use Avast or Avira. Both are good free s/w. Along with it, keep Malwarebytes and Comodo/Zone Alarm firewall

4. raybro

raybro

As a general rule, the vast majority of experienced people here on TSG do not recommend the use of any registry cleaner. All to often such programs will identify a registry entry it says is not needed because some program was changed or removed. The identified entry can sometimes have a negative effect on another program or even the operating system. The uncertainty makes registry cleaners iffy at best.

If you should choose to go ahead and use one anyway, be very sure to create a backup to of your registry if such an event should occur. Click here for instructions on how to backup and restore the registry.

Raybro

5. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

Actually doesn't recommend to delete any registry key, it just shows the keys in a easy way and you have to decide yourself what to do. In that, I find it useful. But you have to see it in order to know what I am saying.

I used AVG free a few years ago and it was pretty good. But this new one ( v. 8.5) has definitely detected trojans falsely. I can't believe it detected trojan from a CD Gothic gold which I used times and again, unless trojan get into the Cd from the dust.

I tried Avast and Avira, I believe they have ads. As I said , I use Rising AnitvirusFree now. Seems like a good software, no ads and anyway, I only use it rarely since my computer isn't connected to internet very often.

6. raybro

raybro

Been a while since I used Avast (didn't care for the license renewal every year), so can't comment regarding "ads" in Avast. If by "ads" in Avira, you are referring to the nag screen that prompts you to buy the pro version and comes up every time you run an update, that can be (and is on my machine) turned off by a little change to a single registry entry. Other than that, I do not see any "ads' in Avira. It's a low resource using app and does a fine job. As far as how much time one spends on the internet as it relates to picking up some sort of malware, count it in microseconds or less.

Having said that, I'm always interested in alternative programs for AV, spyware and other malicious stuff out there waiting to grab you, so I'll take a look at Rising Anti Virus Free. Thanks for the tip.

Raybro

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice