1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG free edistion won't control center won't open.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by spunaugle, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spunaugle

spunaugle Thread Starter

Ok after installing AVG free virus protection I tried to run the program but the control center will automatically close. I can get it to run virus scan by prompting it to from the folder but even trying to run avgw.exe or avgcc.exe results in it closing after attempting to open for about 5 seconds. the Icon will also appear on the taskbar momentarly. I am working on a compaq persario R4000 running Windows XP service pack 2. And AVG is fully updated as well.

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy,

AVG is basic, and therefore easy to exploit. What you have is prolly a virus that is not allowing the program to function. Some viruses can do that. What i recommend:

1. Download Hijack This (goooogle for it)
    2. Do a system scan and sace a log file.
    3. Copy and paste that logfile in a new thread in the SECURITY FORUM <-- YES THE SECURITY FORUM. Click the Security Forum to go there.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried uninstalling AVG and doing a re-install? Sometimes that will resolve issues like this. There's absolutely no evidence that AVG is any easier to exploit than any other AV application, so I don't know where that idea comes from. :confused:

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

I agree with John, but if there is a virus, try loading it in safe mode and doing a scan. In safe mode you will have to manually run the program since it wont start automatically. Even then sometimes it wont run. I've seen some AV programs that you can't run in safe mode. Like Trend Micro Corp Ed... In my opinion thats worthless if an AV can't run in safe mode.

I've never tried with AVG though.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Another thing to try is something like Trend Housecall, and on-line virus scanner. It's useful for when you don't trust your installed protection for any reason, or it's been disabled somehow.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice