1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG Free

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Geoff_B, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geoff_B

Geoff_B Thread Starter

I am using version 7.5 of AVG free and I wish to know how I can disable the email scanner. Slows everything down too much. Thanks

2. hewee

hewee

That is there for your protection.
    But if you open the control center and click on E-mail scanner your see a "disable plugin" button you can click on. That will disable the email scans.
    To turn it back on I went nuts after doing the disable because it grayed out on me and had to look around on ow to turn it back on.
    But when you see the E-mail scanner in the control it has a blue menu bar at the top. Well it will turn red and till you the "email scanner is not fully functional". You can right click on it and pick "activate" and that will turn it back on so the plugin works.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It can't slow everything down since it's only running when scanning e-mail. I've been using AVG for years, and I've never had a single problem. Perhaps you should look to other causes for the performance issues you're experiencing.

4. Geoff_B

Geoff_B Thread Starter

Anti-virus software invades the Outlook Express program to try and intercept (incoming and, in some cases, outgoing) messages that might contain a virus. The problem with this approach is that the antivirus software can trigger the destruction of an entire message folder or the entire message store, when it attempts to remove a message containing a potential virus. Because of the fragility of the OE message store structure and its propensity for destruction, this applies to just about any anti-virus program that touches the OE message store.
    Interestingly, some time ago Symantec/Norton carried on their website a message to this effect - this was later withdrawn.
    Norton invented email scanning and here's what they said: "Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.”…………

"...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are saved to your hard drive."

To prevent the possibility of Outlook Express destructing, turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. You will still be protected against infection. If you attempt to open a message attachment containing a potential virus, then your anti-virus software will recognize that you are attempting to infect your system, and will block you from doing so. The best practice on the user's part is to save an attachment and then scan it with the anti-virus software prior to opening it. Messages opened themselves (if you have the latest security updates from Windows Update) will not infect your system -- only attachments. You do not need additional email scanning on top of your system being continuously scanned by antivirus software, so turn off email scanning to prevent destruction of your message store.

In addition, sometimes your ISP's server may "timeout" waiting for your system to finish scanning your email before it is received or being sent out. That then can become another problem to sort out. THIS IS MY PROBLEM!

5. hewee

hewee

One thing nice about the email scanner is it can scan the email before you download to your PC. I would think that is better because if it finds something then I would not download it.
    I use MailWasher and if I want I can click each mail and it will scan them at the server. Then when it gets downloaded it gets scanned again by the plugin in the mail program.
    It takes very little time to scan the email at the server for me on cable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice