1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG is it good or bad?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vette, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vette

vette Thread Starter

I am using AVG anti virus on my computer. Just wondering if anybody could tell me if it is a good program to use or if I'd be better off using Norton.
    vette

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi vette, Your going to get lots of posts on this telling you the virtues of different applications,AVG is very well known and widely used by thousands of people,myself included,its dealt with 2 viruses Ive had over the years very well and Im more than satisfied wth its performance,for me Norton caused lots of problems,stick with AVG ;)

3. vette

vette Thread Starter

Thanks telecom69, do you know if there is a setting in AVG that it will warn you of a virus in your email etc. when your email is downloading to your computer and before you actually try to open it? Ive had viruses in emails that it did not warn me about till I tried to open the mail or scaned it for viruses.

4. putasolution

putasolution

Have a read of this page

Telecom is quite right, this can become a very emotive subject (for some unknown reason!!)

I, too, use AVG and consider it the best on the market for the money and better than some that you pay for

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi again vette, see the site that putasolution gives it explains the situation about email ;)

6. suesman

suesman

I've been using AVG for quite some time now & it's never let me down once. Keep it up to date & it will serve you well.

7. Miz

Miz

If you want to test AVG's email scanning, go to this page read the instructions there and download one of the "eicar" files linked to at the bottom.

This file is NOT a virus. It will fool your AV program into thinking it's a virus. Once downloaded, email it to yourself as an attachment. If AVG is working properly, it will stop you from emailing it. Then turn off AVG's email scanning long enough to get it sent, turn the email scan back on and check your mail. If AVG is working correctly, it will notify you it found a virus and quarantine it.

I've used that eicar file a number of times to check AV programs on different computers and it is safe to use.

8. starman2002

starman2002

I use Avast on one of my machines and AVG on the other and for me they are both better than Norton.Its seems that with each passing year Norton becomes more bloated and troublesome.I'd keep the AVG updated and use that...its worked well for myself and lots of people on here.

9. vette

vette Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, I'll give the suggestions a try. I'm using AVG free edition and not the pro version if that makes any difference.
    Have a great day, vette

10. putasolution

putasolution

You don't think I'd pay, do you? ;)

11. vette

vette Thread Starter

Not if you don't have to, like me, right?

12. putasolution

putasolution

Got it in one, as long as it's legal :D

13. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow

Here are a few links with a different opinion than those expressed. To specifically answer the question, AVG is better than nothing and no it is not a good program. Yes, you would be better off with Norton, but you can do better than Norton.

http://forums.techguy.org/t125766/s.html

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rem...t~start=20#end.

http://forums.techguy.org/t120667/s.html

http://forums.techguy.org/showthrea...BEST+ANTI+VIRUS

14. putasolution

putasolution

Luthorcrow, that is purely a matter of opinion,

As a professional IT network manager, I would never have Norton on any pc or network of mine, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

That is my opinion.

15. brindle

brindle

I've said that over and over about norton. It was okay back in the 3.1 days but with utilities like avg and the winme defag why bother with all the false readings etc. that one gets with symnatic products.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169602