1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG or Avast Antivirus?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by jshumat0, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jshumat0

jshumat0 Thread Starter

I just had a quick question. My Norton subscription just expired and I am looking at switching to a better program. I was thinking about going for NOD32 (paid program) as I've heard its one of the top anti-virus programs available, however, I just recently had to take my laptop to a computer shop for a hardware problem. While I was there they noticed I had Norton installed and recommended I switch to the free version of AVG. They highly reccommended it. While I was glad to hear a free program would be good, I've also seen a number of places online that Avast is significantly more secure than AVG. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

2. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy jshumat0,
    AVG is a good free antivirus and I think I have heard good of both avast and a free kapersky AV. I used NOD32 as my second AV after the mistake of having Nortons (it came free with my computer so I used it) and found it easy to use and very cutomisable but both kids use the free AVG and have had no problems with it. I now use ZoneAlarm Security Suite as I liked the firewall and when my av expired, decided to try the Suite and have used it for a couple of years now.
    Regards Paula :)

3. ACA529

ACA529

I highly recommend AVG Free also. If you don't like it, there is no money wasted. It will protect you A LOT better than Norton will. You can download it at: http://free.grisoft.com.

4. surikas

surikas

Why don't you download AVG first and if you do not like it uninstall and download Avast? Both are free so you will not lose a penny.. Check it out ;)

5. grandma77

grandma77

I use AVAST and have had no problems...they are both good.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice