1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

avg removal

Discussion in 'General Security' started by katymarieallison, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katymarieallison

katymarieallison Thread Starter

Hi, need help. AVG removal tool took a nosedive and left me with files related to avguix.exe that will not allow access. I am running Win7 32bit on a Dell E6510 Lattitude. I have tried system file checker (SFC), avg removal tools, ccleaner, and auslogics registry cleaner. I have run an online & microsoft security sweep and there are no viruses. I get get an exception breakpoint error pop-up from avg every time I turn the laptop on. Ccleaner shows that there are files on C drive, but can't access them to clean them out. There are no avg programs on my laptop currently. I also tried another avg install and removal. No dice, can't get at anything to remove whatever the removal tool missed. Anybody have any other ideas? or should I just start over? Still have win7 os disc.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. katymarieallison

I have tried safe mode, that did not work. I used both 2016 & 2017 AVG removal tools, one at a time. Neither worked. I want to try a clean boot next. I will keep working at getting a clean boot. Wikifixes claims to have an app to fix this. Maybe a registry repair needed. The error is an exception breakpoint 0x80000003.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you keep running registry cleaners/optimizers then you might as well backup your data and format your system now; those programs do more harm than good.

Maybe try Geek Uninstaller or System Restore the computer to before all this happened and try a normal uninstall at that point in time.

5. katymarieallison

I tried an uninstaller first, AVG's; next, IObit, after doing a bunch of research. When that didn't work, I tried cleaners thinking my registry was corrupt. I discovered the locked up avg files through Ccleaner. Can't delete what can't be accessed. System restore only restored my laptop to the date the problem cropped up. I just now discovered that I have a newer version of MS framework.net. The new version install date is the same as the problem date. This whole thing began when AVG updated itself in spite of my safegaurds to prevent updates unless I ok them first. The AVG uninstall failed. I just now looked at removing the new framework.net. Options were to uninstall or fix. I went for fix. Worth a try, since some of the inaccessible files were avg framework files. If I uninstall newer version of MS framework, will it warn me which programs will be affected? If nothing but avg is, I can uninstall it. Basically, AVG keeps trying to reinstall and then pops up with "avg user interface has stopped working" and "following avg processes failed- avguix.exe". Then the pop-up options want me to notify avg of the problem. Last thing on my mind now is to contact THEM!

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It won't tell you what will be affected because it doesn't know, there's lots of programs that use it.

Have you tried taking ownership of the AVG keys and deleting them and then running the AVG removal tool?

Make sure you have a current backup.

7. katymarieallison

AVG keys? not sure what that is. Will check back on this tomorrow; can you explain AVG keys?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, meant Registry Keys. I thought you said it CCleaner found some locked keys, but you said. Can you show a screenshot of what it found that was locked?

9. katymarieallison

Still pops up with "avg user interface has stopped working" and "following avg processes failed- avguix.exe", but files from AVG are no longer showing in ccleaner scan.
    There are now 14 missing Shared DLL's for Framework 1. Auslogics also shows them in the Auslogics analysis. Auslogics also found: 2 empty unused registry keys, 1 invalid uninstall path high severity (must be the failed AVG removal), 2 invalid file types (AVG connected), a whole bunch of invalid CLSID associations, and 1 invalid internet explorer bar reference. Auslogics offers to repair & backup registry. Ccleaner offers to fix selected issues on the 14 missing DLLs. Never done a screen shot before. Did a backup. Did not do anything yet with the above. Will Auslogics &/or Ccleaner put missing DLLs back into the registry? Do I need to download and replace them?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Registry "cleaning" & "fixing" is pretty much a scam. Most of what they find they will find on a new install of Windows and mean nothing.

DLL's are files, the Register is a place that stores configuration/settings, you can't put files into the registry.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on your Dell Latitude E6510 laptop?

With all the issues you're having with it, a Windows reinstall and fresh start may be your best option.

---------------------------------------------------------------

12. katymarieallison

Yeah, think you are right. I am going to see if windows 7 dvd can repair the problem first, if not, I will do a clean install. Thanks so much for all the help! I have a better idea now of what I can or can't do with all this. Yeah, I pretty much knew I probably could not put files into the registry, but asked just to be sure I knew the difference.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice