1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.avi Files No Longer Play

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ABSTRAX, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ABSTRAX

ABSTRAX Thread Starter

As far as I'm aware this isn't your typical "Codec Not Installed" problem...

Earlier today I was deleting some apps that I no longer use... one of the apps I deleted happened to be the WinDVD that came installed on the HP laptop... there was a warning before I deleted it but I never normally have an issue so I deleted it...

Anyway... now .avi files no longer play on my system... at first I had a 'WARNING: NOTHING TO OUTPUT BFRAME DECODER LAG" message on a black screen when I tried to play a file in any number of players... PowerDVD, (reinstalled) WinDVD for example... I installed the DivX codec again thinking maybe I had inadvertantly deleted it along with WinDVD and now the message no longer appears but any .avi I try to watch will remain static on its opening screen and refuse to actually play... I ran a check with GSpot and I have more than enough codecs installed for both Video and Audio playback so it does not appear to be a codec issue

I've tried everything i can think of besides formatting my laptop and doing a fresh install of everything... but that does seem a little drastic for a playback problem... I'm hoping some1 here can help me out

Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Were you "deleting" the applications or "uninstalling" them.

There is a big difference!

3. ABSTRAX

ABSTRAX Thread Starter

uninstalling them..

4. accat13

accat13

Just curious... in G-Spot in the bottom section (proposed codec solutions and tests) were you able to play the avi file. (instructions under the MS AV column press 1 if all renders ok press 2 ...it should play in gspot) If it did not play did it give you any possible answers when it tried to render.

5. BlizzardUK

BlizzardUK

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice