.avi Files No Longer Play

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ABSTRAX

As far as I'm aware this isn't your typical "Codec Not Installed" problem...

Earlier today I was deleting some apps that I no longer use... one of the apps I deleted happened to be the WinDVD that came installed on the HP laptop... there was a warning before I deleted it but I never normally have an issue so I deleted it...

Anyway... now .avi files no longer play on my system... at first I had a 'WARNING: NOTHING TO OUTPUT BFRAME DECODER LAG" message on a black screen when I tried to play a file in any number of players... PowerDVD, (reinstalled) WinDVD for example... I installed the DivX codec again thinking maybe I had inadvertantly deleted it along with WinDVD and now the message no longer appears but any .avi I try to watch will remain static on its opening screen and refuse to actually play... I ran a check with GSpot and I have more than enough codecs installed for both Video and Audio playback so it does not appear to be a codec issue

I've tried everything i can think of besides formatting my laptop and doing a fresh install of everything... but that does seem a little drastic for a playback problem... I'm hoping some1 here can help me out

Thanks

Were you "deleting" the applications or "uninstalling" them.

There is a big difference!

Just curious... in G-Spot in the bottom section (proposed codec solutions and tests) were you able to play the avi file. (instructions under the MS AV column press 1 if all renders ok press 2 ...it should play in gspot) If it did not play did it give you any possible answers when it tried to render.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online