1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

avi files video but not sound

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bobbi, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Hi

I have an avi file that was saved from an interview room camera/recorder at the police station. The file is saved as an avi to a flash drive. It is then taken to a stand alone PC and copied from a USB flash drive to a DVD. The file is then played in WMP 9.0 and it plays fine.

But when I try to play it on any other computer I get video but no sound. I've tried different versions of WMP. I've tried VLC. I've downloaded different codec packs. I've tried other players such as Winamp and DVR. I will often get the picture but still no sound.

I tried converting the avi files to wmv. Video but no sound still.

However, it does play with sound on the stand alone PC they use to burn the discs.

Any ideas what to try?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Analyze one of the files to see what audio codec was used. Then, install the missing codec.

Tools For Analyzing System and Media Codecs (some install searchers and toolbars if you don't opt out, so read the pages while installing and always use the advanced or custom installation options where the add-ons often appear):

GSpot Information Appliance (video codec identification utility)

CodecInstaller (System codec and media analyzer and installer)

5Star Media Analyst

InstalledCodec (Shows all codecs, enable/disable)

VideoInspector (codec and media analysis)

MediaInfoGUI (Shows format/codecs/properties of audio and video files)

Sherlock (checks audio and video files, codecs versions, broken codecs, etc.)

AVIcodec (media analyzer)

3. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I don't know what the missing codec is. How do I find out which one it needs? I ran the Sherlock software and it gave me a list of installed codecs, but I don't have any idea which ones I need.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use a program that will analyze the avi file to see what it used.

5. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Okay. I ran the AVI codec media analyzer. Here is the output

File : 616 MB (616 MB), duration: 0:47:21, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 98 %, ,
    Video : 1.59 GB, 4833 Kbps, 29.996 fps, 704*480 (4:3), X264 = Unknown, Unsupported
    Audio : 3.00 GB, 4799 Kbps, 16000 Hz, 1 channels, 0x14 = Unknown, CBR, , Unsupported

Keep in mind this does play, video and audio, on the stand alone system that has WMP 9.

Thanks for your help

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. But that doesn't tell us what codecs were used to make it. So try another app. Gspot should tell you, and then tell you if you have it installed.

(Are you sure it's 3 GB on the audio? 3 MB's sounds more reasonable. The audio should be much less than the video.)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice