1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

avi files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Koala3, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Koala3

Koala3 Thread Starter

Hi...when I try to open avi files I get sound but no picture. My operating system is Vista. Anyone know a solition? Thanks

2. hitachihex

hitachihex

you may not have the specific codecs required, depending on what the video was encoded with..

control panel->sounds and audio devices, click on the hardware tab, scroll down to video codecs, click on it, click properties, move to properties tab in new dialo box, paste here whats in that list

edit: to find out what the avi was encoded with, use:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

usage of mediainfo should be self explainatory, if not, reply back afterwards

note: if you don't have the required codec, i'd suggest getting an extendable video\audio software bundle, VLC is nice and comes with alot of codecs you won't have to go off searching for.

3. Koala3

Koala3 Thread Starter

Hi...I can't even find the "sounds and audio devices"i con - is there another name for it in Control Panel?

4. hitachihex

hitachihex

whoops, my bad, silly me being on my xp machine went straight through and gave you steps for it just on here (x

the actual name for the icon would be "Sound" but it wouldn't be under that tab, as opposed to how XP is setup

just use mediainfo and see what codec is required, VLC afaik comes with K-Lite which is pretty much all you'll ever need as far as standarized video codecs go

edit: you can optionally get the K-Lite codec pack without getting VLC, personally I use MPC (Media Player Classic) with the klite codec installed

5. Koala3

Koala3 Thread Starter

How do I know what codec is required though...sorry I'm not technical at all

6. hitachihex

hitachihex

use MediaInfo :)

(in the sourceforge link)

when you have it open just go file->open>file browse to the file and double left click it and under where it says "First video stream" it'll say what the AVI is encoded with, in my example of a movie i checked it's MPG-4, see:

[​IMG]

in most, if not all cases, the k-lite codec pack will have what you need, see:
    http://codecpackguide.com/klcodec.htm

( you don't need the mega codec pack )

Merry Christmas!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice