1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVI Hangs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gemo, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gemo

Gemo Thread Starter

When playing an avi using Real One Player the first 5 seconds of the movie runs OK then it hangs.

The movie almost tries to play more and you get a couple of struttering sound bytes and screen flashes but otherwise the video/audio just freezes.

I'm running a Win XP on a P3 800 machine.

BTW, Win Media Player 9 refuses to even play any of the avi (says file format not supported).

Also, other AVIs play OK both in Real Player and WinMP so I'm not sure if it's a problem only with this particular AVI or since you can play the first 5 secs of the avi if it's something to do with the Real Player setup or a performance problem with my system.

Any suggestions on why Real One is freezing and what I can do to play the whole video ( - as well as why Win MP9 won't work at all on this avi)?

Many thansk and rgds,

G.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Do you have a link to one of these avi's that will not work ?

It could be a codec problem... divX maybe ?

3. Gemo

Gemo Thread Starter

Thanks for the post Steamwiz.

It's looking like I've got a bad avi file. I used "Gspot" (excellent codec/AVI utility) info to look at the file and got the following report:

"An invalid chunk has been encountered in the list containing the A/V frame data. Though not as serious as a corrupt header, it may still be serious enough to prevent the file from rendering correctly.

Details: While processing chunk /RIFF:AVI /LIST:movi, found bad length value 654272362 at file offset 0x0004b142"

Still haven't fixed my problem but this is the direction I'm moving in...

G.

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

Does the program actually use the term "chunk":D - doesn't sound very tech, does it ?

A few months ago I downloaded some avi's and had a similar problem with them - I think they were about 1 minute clips, and everyone played for 10 seconds, then the picture froze, but the slider continued to run through to the end of the clip.

The same thing happened in every player, WMP, DivX player, avi player,etc

So if you manage to solve the problem please be sure to post back with your solution, I for one would be very interested.

steam

5. Gemo

Gemo Thread Starter

Appreciate the follow up.

Yes, the utility does actually say 'chunks' - but it's a super program and highly recommend you use it. It's a very small size and works great

Check out;

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

I'll bet if you run it against the clips you were having problems with it'll tell you something useful!

Will keep you posted if I learn anything further on my problem.

Rgds,

G.

6. steamwiz

steamwiz

Just downloaded the program and had a look at it - I'm sure it will come in very usefull in the future - Now if only I can find those avi's - hope I didn't delete them.

cheers

steam

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice