1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVI Picture Quailty Problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by summer22, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. summer22

summer22 Thread Starter

I download a movie series and the file in Avi type. When I joint the file back and watch it, some episodes have a problem with quailty of picture. Sometime the picture is crash like watch TV and the antena does have strong signal that make the picture crash into many many pieces. Beside that, the picture of next screen is on top of the current that made the person face is unclear and I can only see the face frame only. Is there any way or any software to fix this. Thank you for your help. :)

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Sounds like what you get when you steal tv shows off the internet.

3. summer22

summer22 Thread Starter

It's asian series beside I did donate some money for that. Is there a way to fix it. Need help. Thanks

4. Rabee

Rabee

Try converting it to another format. I know a very good software that can convert it to a better format, go to:
    http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
    install it, there is no need to install any extra features in the installation wizard. The first time you try and convert, the program will download content from the internet; that's normal. If it didn't fix it then the original capture is bad.

5. summer22

summer22 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I tried the software that you recomment, but it still didn't fix it. It's kind an odd because the others don't have this problem and I have it. I asked ther person who post the film up, he said it doesn't have any problem. Do you know what might cause the problem.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Examine one of the files with one of these tools to find out what codec it uses and that you have that codec installed.

CodecInstaller
    GSpot
    DP MediaInfo
    VideoInspector
    Sherlock

If you have installed any codec packages, try installing FFDShow DirectShow Codec to replace the sub-standard ones that may be in use.

Often, the sort of "blocking" you mention is because the original was very poor quality and that is something you won't be able to change, though DivFix can cut out bad parts for you.

7. summer22

summer22 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. Wow!! That's so confusing. I thought that I just need the software that can fix the it. I'm not good with computer, I just know the basic. May be I have to accept with these picture quality :( :( and let it go. There is no way or no easy that I could do. Thank you for you help.

P.S. Is it because of nortron internet security that I use because it make the computer runing (light keep flashing and stable) when my computer is on, but I don't use it. When I dl movie, I just let it dl and go do something esle. Does that might effect the process of dl.

8. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Sounds like even though your AVI could be just fine, if it's being decoded wrong, by using the wrong filter or codec, it's going to look crappy.

I suggest you do take Elvandil's advice. Download and install FFDshow. Set it to decode all types of mpeg4 encoded AVI's (such as Xvid, DivX). It often does a better job than the original codecs. In any case, it won't hurt!

But then there's always the possibility that the file was just encoded poorly. In that case there's not much you can do.

Doing other things while you download your file is not going to affect the quality.

One other note: Donating money to the website that is hosting these files does not mean your copies are legal. The fact that it's a "donation" and not a charge for content tells me your downloads are probably illegal, pirated content, but I'm just guessing. If that's the case, you get what you get. If it looks crappy, oh well. You can eliminate that problem by purchasing the series on DVD if it's available.

9. Rabee

Rabee

If your problem is in decoding then google for K-Lite, its a very excellent codec pack for all formats.

10. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

11. summer22

summer22 Thread Starter

Thank you IMiteBable2help. I did install dl and install FFDShow that you and Elvandil recomment, but I didn't the icon of it. Before that, I installed K-Lite Codes Pack to watch movie in computer already. Do I need to install any codec Install list that Elvandil recomment before. I do, I just chose any of it. Which one is better recomment? If you can, can you briefly show me how it work. Does it mess up my computer because I don't know much about computer or how to fix it. Is this help while downloading right. The one that I dl before install FFDShow doesn't fix it yet?. Thank you. Have a good weekend.

12. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Codec packs are usually problematic, including k-lite. If you have any more problems then I suggest you uninstall k-lite. FFDshow makes k-lite unnecessary. Let's hope that FFDshow takes priority for playback. As far as icons go, FFDshow should be in your start menu now if it was installed properly. Whenever you play a video, the system looks for a codec or filter to play it back and hopefully in your case, FFDshow takes priority when there is more than one codec available for a video format. If FFDshow is being used to playback a file, then icons will appear by your clock that will allow you to adjust the video and sometimes the audio too.

Don't worry, installing codecs will not "mess up" your computer. The worst that could happen is problems with playing back media, and even that is easily fixed by removing and/or adding codecs. Let's take a look at what you have. This is how to do that in XP:

Right-click 'My Computer'. Select properties < Hardware < Device Manager. Hit the plus sign to expand "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers". Then you should see in the list, "Video Codecs". double click that, then select "Properties". That will give you a list of codecs installed. Tell us what they are, in the order they appear.

13. summer22

summer22 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, IMiteBable2help. Sorry I didn't mention before that my computer window is vista. Do I need to uninstall because I use k-lite for Virtual Dub to add subtile to the movie before burn out to DVD. If I uninstal, then how can I add sub.

I also go to "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" on my computer properties. When I click the + on the left of "Sound....", it's only have Realtek High Definition nothing else.

When I open the movie with K-lite, the icon FFDShow does appear by the clock on the corner of the bottom right hand. I clicked on it, it appear the configuration tab (only). It had codes, info, tray......, so which one should I do.

SideNote: Do you know why whenever I opened the K-Lite, it made my screen seem the change the color.

14. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Codec packs are notorious for entirely screwing up a computer -- sometimes to the point that you have to re-format and reinstall Windows!

You may have totally borked the system by installing that k-lite junk.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Let's use a car analogy: A "codec pack" is similar to using 6 different oils in your car (one quart of each), because you were too lazy to look in the manual to see it needed 5W-30. In doing this, your engine is now hosed.

Use the program "DXman" to try and uninstall every codec that didn't come default with Windows. As for which ones come default, it tends to ONLY include MS formats, DV, and MPEG-1.

And at the end of the day, it might simply be a case of the video file you download was poorly done. There are MANY awful-quality videos out there, made from people who had no clue what they were doing (and often used cheap $30 software).

15. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

I don't entirely agree with lordsmurf about the "sometimes you have to reformat" and no, your system isn't "hosed".

It's just that it's best to install and use something like FFDshow for playing back most AVI's, then if you find a file you want to play that uses a codec you are missing, then install that codec. Installing a "codec pack" often results in getting poor quality/buggy codecs.

As you stated, you use Virtualdub so you need the real VFW codecs. I'm in the same situation basically. Even though FFDshow is used as a decoder to play back most of my AVI's, I have also installed DivX 3, DivX 4.12, and Xvid VFW codecs. so virtualdub will have no problems decoding or encoding. Since FFDshow has priority, it always decodes those (divx, Xvid) formats even though I have the real codecs, and FFDshow actually plays them back better than the real codecs. But when I use virtualdub, it of course, uses the real VFW codecs.

There. I hope you're good and confused now. I know I am. Don't feel bad if this takes some time to sort out and get it just right. It's that way even for those of us who "know what they're doing", it's still not the easiest task to accomplish.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice