1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVI problem: "*program* has encountered an error and must shut down"

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by roxi81, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxi81

roxi81 Thread Starter

this first happened to me a few days ago when i tried to play a file i had downloaded from bit torrent. any kind of attempt to access the file resulted in the program encountering an error and needing to shut down [send/dont send error report etc].
    i.e. if i tried to look at the file in its folder, windows explorer would need to shut down, if i tried to play it in wmp, it would shut down, divx the same.

i ran g-spot on the file and i had all required codecs to play it. so i figured the file was just corrupt and deleted it. now i cannot play any of my avi files that have worked perfectly for years. i have them burnt to dvd, but i now cannot access any of them. its not my dvd drive, as i can still play actual dvd's. i have some avi files stored on my hard drive that still play.

this is a most frustrating problem. i was watching these AVIs not more than a few weeks ago, now i cant access them at all without this error being generated.

i have run a scan on my computer and havent turned up any virus' etc.

please help!!!!!!!!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

That is the dangers of the beast...

Can you use System Restore to go back to a time when it was working?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice