1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avira AntiVir not auto-updating

Discussion in 'General Security' started by DKTaber, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Last week, I updated to Avira AntiVir Personal (free), ver. 10. Immediately noticed that while previous versions automatically updated, this version doesn't. I did a workaround by creating an update schedule in the Scheduler, which works. . . but I'm still puzzled by why automatic updates don't work in version 10. I have posted a thread on the Avira forum, but it doesn't have anywhere near the traffic this forum does and Avira hasn't addressed the issue, so decided to post the question here. Anyone else having this problem?

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I have also upgraded one system I maintain from AntiVir 9 to AntiVir 10 and version 10 most certainly DOES automatically update itself. If you look through the scheduler settings, you'll see where the automatic update is scheduled on a daily basis.

On the Windows 2000 system I run AntiVir 10 on locally, I often get messages about AntiVir updating itself, along with a count of the number of files that were updated during the last update.

Peace...

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Nope; doesn't. Not sure what you mean by "scheduler settings". If you mean the configuration where under Update, Automatic, "Activate" is checked and "Automatic update all" is set to 01 days, 00hours, 00minutes, and "Repeat job if time has expired" is also checked.

Under "Administration", "Scheduler" (capital 'S'), I've had to enter and Update at 0800 each day, which works.

But automatic updating without an entry in the Scheduler. . . doesn't happen.

4. tomdkat

Strange. I've attached screenshots of my AntiVir main window with various settings. Not only do my updates run automatically, one ran today when I booted my Windows 2000 system for another reason and the other day, AntiVir told me I had to reboot to install the update downloaded the other day. Today, 20 files were updated. The last update, which required the reboot, updated 35 files or so.

Maybe the "repeat job if time expired" option I have checked is why my updates run automatically.

Are your settings much different, other than your manually scheduled update job?

Peace...

Attached Files:

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

All of my settings are the same as yours, and I have exactly the same version. But it will not update on its own, so I have an update in the Scheduler @ 0800 hrs. each day.

FYI, I did get one reply on the Avira forum where the guy said he had the same problem, and solved it by putting an update check in the Scheduler. . . which is why I did that. . . and it works, but it's still disconcerting that it won't do it on its own.

6. tomdkat

Weird. Well hopefully others will respond to indicate if they are experiencing the same issue as you. I have AntiVir installed on some other systems (Windows XP, Vista, and W7) and I KNOW the owners of those systems won't run updates so I'll see if those installations are automatically updating themselves or not.

Peace...

7. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

I have avira scheduled to update several times a day and I have had no problems. I had to make sure that the box enabled was checked though. In order to schedule my own update times I had to disable the automatic updates.

8. tomdkat

Did you manually create an update job, like DKTaber, or did you simply check the "Repeat job" option only?

Peace...

9. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

Hi tomdkat, If the question is for me then yes I manually created the update jobs. I have it set to update 3 or 4 times daily which it does.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice