1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avira (free) problems

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Rigsby, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigsby

Rigsby Thread Starter

I hope this is the correct place for this post as I don't need help removing anything.

I had Avira Antivirus (free) on my PCs - gave it another chance - and just the other day it popped up a window reporting that Superantispyware contained a trojan and subsequently quarantined it. (Happened on 2 computers I have). Because Avira admitted - about a year ago or so - that on some systems it had a memory leak - and that was true because one of my PCs would completely freeze up after a while - I replaced it with another antivirus program.

Has anyone else had this trojan alert ? I presume it's a false positive because Superantispyware has a good reputation in it's field.

I'm becoming increasingly put off with Avira - even tho it's highly rated on many sites/forums.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I would assume that it's neither an accidental detection nor a sign that SAS is malicious.

The more likely issue is that Avira detected the signature files which SAS uses to detect malware. I've seen this once when I accidentally ran a scan (I think it was MBAM though it may have been SAS) at the time my Avast scheduled scan was going to begin. It didn't happen unless they were scanning at the same time, but Avira may be different.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Get rid of Avira AntiVir and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials - which coexists just fine with SUPERAntiSpyware AND Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!