1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avoid buying local office DVD medias?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iKwak, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

Is there any reason to avoid DVD media branded by Staples, Office Depot, and etc.?
    This will be my first set that I am buying.

2. brite750

brite750

Don't know about DVD media, but never had a problem with cd-r/rw media.

3. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

I have been using Viking CD-R's and DVD-R's for a while now and have had no problem. I am using about 100 a month for backups, updates, music and other misc junk.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have some office depot cdrw that have been great except they are 4x.:) I have some cds that I bought that you honestly couldn't tell 1 side from the other but they worked great.
    The only CDs I have ever bought that were no good, get this. Memorex?? I still use Memorex but I got a spool with about 1/3 of them worthless.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    My understanding is that really aren't that many companies that make DVD media but that most are just re-labelled and sold under different names. If thats true then a "Staples" DVD could be the same as a Memorex DVD.

I agree that Memorex CD-RW's should be avoided, I've yet to use a Memorex CD-RW more then once without a problem.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Is it live? Or is it in the trash can? :)

7. brite750

brite750

Memorex are not good??? they use to make good mag tape, oh well. I use Imation alot but mosty because they seem to be on sale when I run out. Don't you just love those disk that look the same on both sides, my job buys those and it drives me nuts, those are for when your using silkscreen or custom labels or something.

8. brite750

brite750

Is it live or is it a drink coaster, or tree orniment, cat toy???

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have had no trouble with memorex CDRs, but the CDRWs I have are about 33% bad. You can write to these ones once and after that the 1/3 rule comes into effect. Once they are erased the second write fails. That is why I didn't take them back. :) By the time I realized they were bad it was too late. LOL

10. 4steve44

4steve44

Now you guys tell me ;) No wonder I am having trouble with the memorex I have. I had been saving my three memorex for something special and when I decided to download and burn Fedora 1 of the three didn't work. All that download time went to waste! :eek:

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I had a 50 spool of them Steve. I might have 30 left. I am afraid to erase them and do anything with them really. The failure rate on them has been high. The ones from office depot have been written to many many times without 1 loss. Weird.

12. 4steve44

4steve44

Yeah I bought a spool of 100 HI-VAL from office depot for $10 a long while back and have not had a problem with any of them. I have about 20 left. ;)

13. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

Sorry. I mean DVD-R and DVD+ medias.
    Anyone with past experience?

14. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

They can be manufactured by a few different makers. Memorex, Verbatim, Imation etc. brand other's discs.

Most folks have good luck with Ritek/RIDATA G04's (4X). Try them if they work well stay with them.

You can buy them here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-342&depa=0

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!