1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avoid changing LAN settings?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SchoolSupport, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SchoolSupport

SchoolSupport Thread Starter

Can anyone help?
    We have to route through a proxy at school but the teachers want to use their laptops at home too. I've set up Wired connections for school use (static IP) and Wireless connections for home (Obtain IP Automatically) but some teachers find it difficult to change the LAN setting through Internet Explorer to turn the "Proxy" off (???)
    Is there a way to arrange for the teachers not to have to make changes at all?

The laptops all use XP, have one user account and load up straight to the desktop. This can be altered if necessary.

Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated. (I have suggested a training session on how to change the LAN but this didn't go down too well :) )

2. opar2

opar2

I travel a lot and connect to a lot of different systems for troubleshooting and find that using a product like NetSwitcher most helpful.

www.netswitcher.com

I set up my network card for each different situation, and store the settings for future access.

When I get back to my home network, I select Home and it switches everything back.

I have also bought a copy for my wife who has the same challenges your teachers are facing and as a nurse, (a little short on IT understanding) has no problem going back and forth at work and home. ;)

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Get the appropriate registry settings and store them in a file, Work.reg and Home.reg and put them on the desktop.

All the teacher would have to do is double-click on one or the other.

Courtney sends....

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Do you really want to have your users playing with fire like that.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Looks good, I think I'll keep this one. :)

7. SchoolSupport

SchoolSupport Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your suggestions - they're are so appreciated.
    I'll take a look at Netswitcher and NetSetMan and look into the Registry Settings idea. I must admit I like to keep the teachers away from anything they don't understand and even I find the Registry a little scarey!!
    You may just have made my job a lot easier - cheers!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice