AVR Smoked & PC Won't Turn On

ninjasdonthug

Hi! (win10, rx 570, 16gb ram, 600w psu, amd ryzen 2200g)

I was routinely playing Valorant today at medium graphics when my PC suddenly turned off (not shut down like the entire process, but just went off). I thought it was gonna be ok if I just turned it on again, but I noticed that my AVR was beginning to smoke. I immediately unplugged everything, disconnected the wires from the avr to and from the system unit itself. After a few minutes, I took the power supply power cord and plugged it directly to the wall outlet, but it won't turn on my PC anymore. I opened the system unit and checked for burnt or damaged parts but I really didn't smell anything else was burning. Jsut the psu cable.

Is it possible that changing the psu could damage my motherboard? Or will changing the psu fix everything? I am willing to send out a picture of ny system unit. But it really looks fine to me.

Should I just replace the psu? I'm thinking of switching from AVR to UPS as well. My recommended usage wattage is at 450watts and my pc runs 600w.

Ah, okay. The first test then would be to replace the PSU with a known-good one and see if that resolves the problem. If so, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that your only loss was the AVR.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

I opened the system unit and checked for burnt or damaged parts but I really didn't smell anything else was burning. Jsut the psu cable.
Are you saying the AC mains power cord for the computer's PSU was smelling burned? If so, it is possible that the cord itself failed with some kind of arcing or overheating of a bad internal connection. Have you tried running the computer with another, known good, power cord?

My recommended usage wattage is at 450watts and my pc runs 600w.
Who or what is recommending the 450 watts? Any UPS should be rated with at least a little bit higher output wattage than the combined maximum wattage of the computer plus any other devices, like a monitor, running from the UPS. A higher wattage UPS will not try to force its maximum wattage into the computer, but will have reserve power should it be needed. It will also give you bit longer run time as it will be running a lighter load.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you meant one of the PSU cables to the motherboard or any other internal connection was smelling burnt, it is possible that there was a problem with the cable or the PSU failed in a mode that raised an output voltage to an unsafe level and damaged whatever was connected to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online