1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AV's and Malwarebytes

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by MSDirector, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MSDirector

MSDirector Thread Starter

Is Malwarebytes an anti-virus or should I also run an AV with it? I have CA Internet Security (free from Cablevision HS Internet) and it takes a minute to load and slows everything down. I also run the paid version of MWB and just uninstalled CA because its recent upgrade slowed booting even more. All is fairly snappy now on my OpteronX2 2.4, XPMCE. BTW, MWB is outstanding in every way.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It's really an anti-malware. If CA is bogging your CPU down, you could uninstall it and get a free anti-virus to run along with MalwareBytes (the free version). A good free anti-virus I would suggest is Microsoft Security Essentials.

3. MSDirector

thanks for the info on MWB. I did uninstall CA and may get AVG free or even paid as I've had good results on many other PCs. Security Essentials is only compatible with Win7 though, correct? If it runs with XP, I would gladly DL it.

4. Cheeseball81

No, Microsoft Security Essentials is compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3); Windows Vista (Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2) and Windows 7. I use it on both my XP machine and 7 machine.

I used AVG for many years but lately their software has been having issues for some. Myself included. It made my computer lag. Errors. Etc.

5. MSDirector

Just saw that on the web page, Thanks very much - there are 2 downloads, one has AMD64 in it at 9.7mb, the other X86 at 7.3mb. Which one is the correct one?

6. Cheeseball81

Is your Windows 7 machine 32 bit or 64 bit?

You can find out if you go to Control Panel > System
    Check System Type

The way it works is:
    x86 = 32 Bit
    x64 = 64 Bit

7. MSDirector

I have XPMedia Ctr Ed. SP3. I DL the correct one and it is now scanning my PC for the first time. Can't wait to put it on my VistaSP! laptop and the XPSP3Netbook. Thanks again!!!

8. Cheeseball81

You're welcome!

9. MSDirector

Me again; I'm constantly tweaking this thing (Opteron DC 2.4, XPMCE) and MSSecurity Essentials is really clipping along. I have read many good things about it but in their help/troubleshooting section, they say to UNINSTALL all security SW. A system restart takes about 50 sec. w/o MWB and 62sec with it enabled (Good riddance to CA which added almost 60 sec. to a restart) . My paid version of MWB doesn't seem to conflict with MSSE at all but they also say to turn off real time protection. My question is: Can and should they coexist? Is MWB an added layer of protection or just redundant.

BTW, AVG had an IPO today in the shadow of FaceBook, I wonder if it will affect their "free" SW.

MSDirector

10. Cheeseball81

It is said that programs with real time monitoring are likely to cause a conflict. If you aren't noticing any problems, then it should be okay. But just keep an eye on it.
    I have MWB (free version) as my extra layer of protection (along with Spyware Blaster).

Sorry for the delayed response btw :)

11. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    FWIW. MSE is not needed in Windows 8 consumer. It has been incorporated with the original Windows Defender, which is built in.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice