1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aw man...Blue Screen of Death!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chris in va, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris in va

chris in va Thread Starter

I tried to post on here about my mouse cursor problems and I get the BOD. The past 3 days I haven't been able to download any files off the net, with a message "IE cannot open file" etc. The arrow has been stuttering badly, and sometimes causes a crash of the machine. Help?

1 ghz/60gb clone, Win 98 SE

2. Miz

Miz

Trying the simplest things first:

1. If you haven't run Scandisk and defrag, boot into Safe Mode and run them both (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools).

2. Boot into Normal Mode; see if the problem is still there

3. If so, shut down everything running in the background...most of which will give itself away with an icon in the system tray and can be shut down through a right click on the icon(s). (If that solves the problem, then you've just got too much stuff running (unlikely on your machine but it can happen) and you're going to have to stop at least some of it from loading on startup.)

4. For the download problem, empty the browser's cache and also run Disk Cleanup (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools, dump everything possible).

5. If that clears up the download problem, get, install and run Spybot.

If none of that works, post back.

3. chris in va

Thanks for the reply. I did everything you suggested, but I still am not able to download any sort of file from the net. IE refuses access for some reason, saying the download file is not available. This is true of *anything* I try to download.

4. chris in va

Here's something even more strange. In the add/remove section, IE isn't listed! I can't even try to delete/upgrade to IE 5.5 as it won't let me download at all. Grr. :confused:

5. monted

monted

what version of IE do you have now?

6. chris in va

I'm sorry, I have no idea. It came with the AOL 5.0 disk (which I no longer use as I have cable).

7. monted

monted

Go to :>>Help>>About Internet Explorer, and see what version you have.

8. chris in va

Nothing comes up when I do a help index search for "about internet explorer" or anything similar to that.

I took the computer in to Best Buy to get it checked out, and I *believe* they said something about IE 5, but not sure.

9. monted

monted

do that when you have IE open, at the top,

file,edit,view,ect.

10. chris in va

Aha! Ok, I have IE 5.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The computer is STILL in at Best Buy?
    Or, it's home?
    If so, what did they do?

Are you still getting BSODs?
    If so, what is the error message?

And, when you try to download, can you explain what you are trying to download, how you are doing it, and exactly what the error message is that you are getting?

12. monted

monted

you might try running the repair tool:

readthis first,it contains onfo about system file checker and extracting files.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194177

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type (or paste)the following command, and then click OK:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

NOTE: This command is case sensitive.

13. chris in va

Sorry, I had to step out for a while.

No, the machine is here at home now. They ran Norton System Works to check for any errors, which this time there were only 2 dealing with an unrelated program. As for downloading, it can be *anything*. Any downloadable file, mpeg...whatever. Anything you guys recommend I download from Microsoft doesn't work...it just won't let me. Lately if I try and send a picture from my camera to a friend, it crashes.

Monted, I'll try doing what you recommended and get back to you.

14. chris in va

Ok, I ran the prompt, but it didn't seem to do anything. There were a few boxes to be checked, but they were only dealing with programs I already have. IE 5 still doesn't show up in the add/remove section. I'm starting to think this may be a faulty memory card problem, as this started suddenly and is getting worse.

I just have one card, 248mb with one more DIMM slot left. Could these be symptoms of bad RAM?

15. monted

monted

I found out why:

Windows 98 Second Edition does not contain an entry for the ierepair tool in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.

Windows 98 Second Edition removes the Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools option because Internet Explorer is integrated with Windows 98 Second Edition and cannot be uninstalled (the ierepair option is available only from the Internet Explorer 5 Uninstall dialog box).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice