1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

award bios beep code

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sinterklaas, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinterklaas

sinterklaas Thread Starter

Oh no...
    A friends pc, with bios password. I've replaced the battery to get rid of the password. Pc gives one long and three short beeps while booting, and stops after that. I've checked the videocard - without success.
    Who can help me out of this?

2. n2gun

n2gun

From what I can find it may be a memory problem. Try resetting the memory.

3. pvc9

pvc9

Check this link -

http://www.efacorp.com/support/notes/980216.htm

Is the video onboard or a seperate card?

edit : When did this start? After you replaced the battery or prior to that?

4. sinterklaas

Video is seperate card.
    It started after I reset the battery.
    Is it possible that the bios is overwritten by the guy who sold the computer?

5. pvc9

pvc9

Can you try with another card? Just curious!

About the ROM being re-programmed! I'm not too sure about that. As its veryvery difficult to reprogram a ROM!

6. sinterklaas

Replaced the card again and... it works!
    Password is gone. Partitioned, formatted, and now Win98SE won't install...
    Oh no...! Why me?!
    User.dat appears to be corrupt. There is a registerfault. Windows can not repair the problem.
    What next?

7. pvc9

pvc9

Good for the initial video card thing!

Now, you fdisked and formatted the drive and windows wont install? What? If you format the drive correctly there should be no problems at all! Anyway what is the error msg that you're getting?

BTW, try copying the files onto the HDD from the Cd and then run the setup! See if that works out!

8. sinterklaas

Thanks for your support so far, PVC9!
    You are right - this should be a piece of cake, but it isn't. Additional problem for me is that the messages on my screen are all in Dutch, and it would take too long to translate them all.
    I'll give some keywords: 'registry-/configurationfault', 'use SCANREG' (no result), 'cannot find valid systemregistrykeys', 'Windows has find a fault in the systemfiles and cannot repair the registry', 'it is possible that there are no registryservices available', 'video-adapter is not correct configured', 'C:\Windows\user.dat is damaged', 'C:\Windows\user.dat does not have the right size' etc.
    All this is followed by a number of BSOD's:
    - not valid dynamic VxD-koppelingsaanroep (sorry for this Dutch!) from VWIN32(01)+00000714 to device "009" service 1. Windows configuration is not valid.
    - idem VWIN32(01)+00000782 to "009" service 2.
    - idem wavemix.ini.
    - idem powerpoint.ini.
    - idem ANCFDGBM (what is this??).
    - fatal error OE on 0167:BFF8976B.
    Well, I hope you can make something of this.
    I really hope so...!

9. pvc9

pvc9

You're welcome:)

Thats a lot of Dutch...:p

Are you sure that you did the fdisk and format correctly? If yes then try the setup command directly. Or these msgs come up when you try the setup command? I'd suggest you to format the C drive again and then copy the files on the Cd to harddisk and then install the OS.

10. sinterklaas

FDISK & Format are fine. I do this once a week. Actually, this week twice, because I did it all over again :) .
    The messages appear after installing Windows. The setup itself shows no problems. After the third reboot (should be almost finished then, except for some drivers etc.) the blue screens come up.
    I don't think, in this case, copying the win setup to the HDD will help. Do you still think so?

11. pvc9

pvc9

The registry is getting corrupted even before windows installation completes! Enter the BIOS and disable all the Plug and Play devices and run the installation again. See what happens!

Also, it would be a good idea to copy the files to HDD and install the OS:)

12. sinterklaas

Ok, ok, I'll try copying. First thing tomorrow morning

:D

And finally (at least for today) a less clever question: how can I disable the PnP's in BIOS?

(and what about disabling the video card?)

13. pvc9

pvc9

About the BIOS, I'm not too sure which one you're using. There should be an option titled PnP configuration or something like that. Once you select that option you can disable or enable the PnP devices:)

Well, its late for me too, so need some sleep.

edit : WOW! Now the q about the video card has got me thinking. Is it possible that the video card is the reason for this. Need some info, can you see the GUI screen during installation? Any screen at all?

14. sinterklaas

Thanks, pvc, and sleep well.
    I'll let you know tomorrow.

:)

(yes, I can see the screen normally, during installation. I can almost do without, but it can be helpfull, sometimes...)

(BTW, it is an S3 Trio 2D/2X Diamond Speedstar A55; board is Jetway 9BXAS/9BXAN; Award Bios 4.51PG PnP Extension 1.0A - if this may help)

15. pvc9

pvc9

You're welcome:)

Hope it'll be solved!

:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/98071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice