1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AZAllen

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by AZAllen, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

I have and Hp Compac with internet explorer 8 installed and I can no longer open links, no problem at all with attachments though. I even had to go to the web browser to register into this forum, couldn't use the URL
    I do have that Runner "file name (Compaq Connections . exe) lacks a '-' (the app seperator)" which pops up when I log onto my computer-don't know if that has any bearing or effect or not.
    Anyone have any ideas for my linking problem????

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Are you referring to links inside Outlook Express?

3. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

If I get an E-mail with a link, I cannot open it. I get things from publishers clearing house, cannot enter the contest 'cause I can't get off of the opening page. If I get links from one of the magazines or organizations, I can't open the links. Heck I couldn't even set up my Windows Live recently because I can't access things through the links. It's frustrating.

4. Phantom010

Try checking the file association for NONE: URL HyperText Transfer Protocol

Go to My Computer and click on Tools... > Folder Options. Then, click on File Types. Scroll down and locate the above file type and click on Advanced, then Edit. Now, compare the values to the ones listed below:

Action: Open

Application used to perform action:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

Use DDE should be checked.

DDE Message: "%1",,-1,0,,,,

Application: IExplore

DDE Application Not Running: blank

Topic: WWW_OpenURL

http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2005/s1610/36s10/36s10.asp

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_fix_links.htm

5. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

Well, so far nothing, none of these things seem to directly affect the "Outlook Express", nothing bad, just no help..so far.

6. Phantom010

Make sure Internet Explorer is set as your default browser.

7. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

According to the "programs" part of network and internet connections, Internet Explorer is the default although I browse with google.

8. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

Phantom010, I was trying to follow the about.com directions and no luck there, some of the directions had no complement on my unit, confusing for me. The file association you listed before checked out OK.

9. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

Well, I went through the dll lists on the about.com and smartcomputing.com, smart computing had a couple more than the about list, didn't make any difference, there was a found but can't do it and two no can finds. Seems like now I may have to put it in the hands of someone more skillfull than I.

10. Phantom010

11. AZAllen

AZAllen Thread Starter

Unfortunately they no longer support Outlook Express. I have "8", windows 7 started out with "9", but no matter, they no longer support any Outlook Express. Perhaps I can get into another E-mail program which is not "Obsolete", that may be one option, Windows 7, if it includes an E-mail program is also possible but probobly more expensive. We shall see.

12. Phantom010

Not sure I follow you. Did you try the fixes in the last link? Manually, that is? Outlook Express is not obsolete for Windows XP. Something in all the above fixes should have worked, if we are talking about the same link problem...

Have you tried running Internet Explorer without Add-ons?

How to Start IE8 Without Add-ons

If no luck,

Try repairing IE8 HERE.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice