1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[B]Internal card reader wont recognise sd card[/B]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by hectorbun, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hectorbun

hectorbun Thread Starter

Hi
    I am running XP with SP 2 (installed OK after I turned off AVG and ZA).
    I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 digital camera and a San Disk 128mb SD card. I have installed the Nikon software without difficulty. My PC has a 'card reader' slot on the front along with the USB ports. When I put the sd card in the reader and try to transfer the images the Nikon software tells me that 'there is no memory card in the connected camera or the card reader'. The sd card does not show up in the 'removable storage' on 'My Computer'. I have not been able to locate the card reader in 'device manager', although I am not really sure what to look for!
    There is not any problem transferring the images via the USB cable so the problem does not seem to be with the sd card. The forum on the fujitsu (my PC is a fujitsu) site is not currently up and running due to maintenance and the instructions supplied with the PC are not any help.
    Any ideas on how to get the card reader working or how to check that it is ok? Thank you

2. slipe

slipe

Does the card reader light when the card is inserted? I bought a computer with a built-in reader for my daughter and had to fiddle for a while to get the card in right. If you are sure the card is inserted properly and you get no light then you might pull the computer case and make sure the power is connected and the wiring is right.

My daughterÂ’s card reader showed up as a removable drive and a light came on when I got the card in right.

I doubt you need a driver as XP usually handles that without help. But you might check the Fuji site to see if there are any patches or upgrades for the drivers.

3. hectorbun

hectorbun Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. The light doesn't come on when I insert the card - have had a fiddle with it, but there is only one way to put the card in and it fits pretty snugly. It does appear that the card reader is not working properly. It is helpful to know that the light should come on and the card should appear in the removable storage in My Computer. I will ring the computer retailer later today to see if they have had any similiar problems with this model of PC. Have already checked that the drivers are up to date. Thanks again - nice to know I was on the right track!

4. hectorbun

hectorbun Thread Starter

Just a quick update - my pc supplier are sending an engineer out as they agree card reader doesn't work. Thanks for your advice.

5. slipe

slipe

I guess it helps sometimes to know how it is supposed to work. Good luck with the repairs.

6. 911

You might be able to use the camera as a card reader. Can you plug the camera into your PC with the card in it ? If the PC recognizes the camera as a 'mass storage' device, (this is how mine works) you can click on it, and 'open' the files, or just drag them onto your desktop.

7. hectorbun

hectorbun Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, the camera does have a 'mass storage device' setting. Will do this until the card reader on the PC is fixed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice