1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[B]Motherboard temperature calibrations out of whack?[/B]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrikima, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrikima

chrikima Thread Starter

When booting the cold PC the MB temperature reads about 8 degrees C above the room temperature!
    The CPU temperature at boot up is at about room temperature as one would expect.

During normal operation (room about 25 C) the MB temperature rises to 45 C or higher; whilst the CPU temp reading is only about 30 C. In other words the CPU temp is consistently way below the MB temp.

:confused: Can I believe any of the readings?
    What do you experts think about this?
    What is a critical temp for the MB?
    Do I need to worry?

Motherboard: ASUS P5V800-MX
    CPU: Pentium 4, D 930 (Dual Core) 3.0 GHz
    The PC is one month old.

Thank you very much for your guidance,
    Chris

2. Sponsor

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

I would tend to suspect that there is an air circulation problem. Why don't you install SpeedFan? It will not only give you temperatures of the CPU and MB, but also the harddrives. It will also give you RPMs on your fans. If the problem is new, then either a fan is bad or your case is dirty. If not new, then it could be the design of your case.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

4. chrikima

chrikima Thread Starter

Right now the reading for the MB is 45 C but the CPU only 24 C, that is
    The PC is one month old , no dirt or circulation problems.
    Thank you for trying to help
    Chris

5. Anchoret

Anchoret

Like SiSoft Sandra, Speedfan gives me wildly, impossibly inaccurate readings of measurements (such as voltages) that I can easily check conclusively with meters.

As a consequence, I am dubious of their accuracy throughout.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ARe you reading these temps from the BIOS? If not then maybe the CPU and motherboard temps are reversed with the motherboard temp actually being the CPU temp which would make more sense looking at the numbers.

7. chrikima

chrikima Thread Starter

Hi Seekermeister and all,

Hard to say what the problem is. At boot up the MB still shows in the BIOS a temperature nearly 10 C above room temperature, I have contacted ASUS to see if there is a way to manipulate the temp registration down. LetÂ’s see how helpful they are.
    Speedfan was a great recommendation from Seekmeister, the program is doing a good job in keeping unnecessary CPU fan revs and noise down to a more civilised level.

Thank you all, what a great forum,
    Cheers, Chris

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499605