1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[b]SAMSUNG SP 2514N 250GB HDD[B]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jack213, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack213

jack213 Thread Starter

Hi,

Just purchased a new Samsung SP2514 250 gig hdd and XP can only see 32239mb.

Tried using samsung's drive overlay to install xp, but gave up + uninstalled it -(the drive overlay).

I booted from the Xp cd + installed but XP only sees 32....gig's.

I have enabled big LBA by using EnableBigLba from www.48bitlba.com to no avail.

From searching through the forums, I see that a BIOS update may be necessary.

Do I also need to update my motherboard + chipset?

If so, are reliable updates available free on the net?

Any step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

How old is that system? . .

3. jack213

jack213 Thread Starter

Ops sorry, that would help, I suppose!! It's a 2001 system:

(Details from EVEREST HOME Edition)

CPU: P4 1700mhz

MOBO: MSI MS-6534

MOBO CHIPSET: Intel Brookdale i845

BIOS TYPE: AWARD MODULAR v6.00PG - September 2001 (Manufactured by Phoenix Technoligies Ltd)

IDE CONTROLLER: Intel 82801ba Bus Master IDE Controller

HDD: Samsung SP2514N (250GB, 7200RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Video: Nvidia GeForce2 Mx/Mx 400 (64MB)

Audio: Creative SB Live 5.1 Sound Card

RAM: 512MB (PC133 SDRAM)

XP Pro - SP1 installed, havn't got to install SP2 yet _ will this help when I do?
    (Guy @ Samsung said SP1 was critical to gain access to full capacity of hdd)

My aim is to have a couple of partitions ....say an 80/90 gig partition for XP, and a couple of 10/12gig partitions and the rest for storage.

Thx again

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well . . that a new enough system that the 32G limitation should not be showing up . . maybe a 127GB limit.

You can look at the jumpers on the drive to check that one is not set to limit the size . . and for a BIOS update from MSI that enables 48 LBA.

SP2 is needed to recognize partitions over 127 GB.

5. jack213

jack213 Thread Starter

Ok, Thanks for the reply Simpswr, I'll check the jumpers + update to SP2 + keep you posted.

The jumpers were'nt easy to read on the hdd + i wasn't sure if they needed to be set one way if you wanted a 32gig limit or, if you had a 32 gig limit.

It'll be a few hours before i can do that, but i'll keep you posted.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

You normally don't need to change the drive limitation jumper, but maybe someone fooled with it.

7. jack213

jack213 Thread Starter

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

The drive could be bad . .

9. jack213

jack213 Thread Starter

OK, just when I was at the point of taking the drive out + sending it back, I reformatted + installed with some progress!

There was a "not very highlighted" option on the hdd floppy utility which said to set the primary hdd in the BIOS to "none" + reboot. The utility would then over-write something + increase capacity. This didn't work as the floppy utility crashed + rebooted in a cycle each time.

I set the hdd auto-detection to "manual", re-booted +the utility worked - gave me a capacity of 137GB.

I made a 90GiG partition, but am at a loss as to the next step to achieving full capacity (250gb). 48bit LBA is enabled.

So..... any ideas appreciated

10. otzi

otzi

i live in viet nam . and all people vietnam think HDD samsung = sam **** ;)) . why you dont buy HDD seagate ?? it very good ::) .

11. jack213

jack213 Thread Starter

Hi ozti, thanks for the reply - don't tempt me!! I might just do that, but I think I'm would have the 137gb problem regardless of which HDD I use. Samsung's site + support definatly leave a lot to be desired though.

I got a program called "Hidden XP Utilities" from here and it has a disk manager program in it. It shows the unpartitioned space in my hdd and there is an option to create new partitions in it.

Hopefully, this one can now be marked as solved. Thanks all :)

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

Once you upgradeto SP2, you should be able to create a partition using the native XP Disk Management . . no need for third-party HS.

13. DaleBarri

DaleBarri

14. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

15. DaleBarri

DaleBarri

Your manual only has 2 pages on how to install the drive and what jumper settings to use. The link I posted has 8 pages with a Q&A section that specifically deals with the 32 Gb and 137 GB problems.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice