Babying a laptop HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plschwartz

I have a laptop where I have gooten a SMART message that the HD may soon crash and to backup the data. Now the laptop a 2 yr old dell is extremely slow.
So I thought to pull the HD and use a different system. I have a desktop with pleanty of HD space and a 2.5" to ide connector. Would using the IDE be the easiest on the drive - which I will try to baby till I get the data out. I am looking for the method least stressful on this drive.
Thanks
paul

Paul,

I just upgraded my laptop drive (a Dell)--see this:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/426703-best-way-clone-laptop-hard-drive.html

I wish I had done it earlier--definitely get the 7,800. I went from a 4,200 to a 7,800--like night and day. This is the one I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146020

The mistake I made is I didn't buy two 2.5 to 3.5 inch IDE connectors. You can download Acronis software for a free 15 day trial (its fully operational) and clone your drive directly from the old drive to the new drive. Just hook it both up at the same time to your desktop. If you have to, temporarily pull the IDE cable out of the CD/DVD drive and hook the drives up to that.

BTW--in case you didn't know--cloning the drive makes an exact copy--so you literally don't need to do anything other than hook up the drives, clone it, stick the new one in the laptop and boot up--you'll have exactly the same drive except new. No need to reinstall Windows or any software. It worked flawlessly for me--takes about a half hour if you have two adapters. If you only have one, then you need to clone to a desktop drive, then back to the new laptop drive, but save yourself the trouble and buy two adapters--they only cost about $10.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can actually generate an image file with Acronis True Image or GHOST that is just a large data file, then dump it back onto the new drive. Although I happen to have several of the 2.5" to 3.5" adapters, I never use more than one for this task.

JohnWill said:
You can actually generate an image file with Acronis True Image or GHOST that is just a large data file, then dump it back onto the new drive. Although I happen to have several of the 2.5" to 3.5" adapters, I never use more than one for this task.
Because you don't know what you're doing! :D

plschwartz

Chris and John
Thank you
And Merry Xmas and alsohappy holidays

The drive is iffy at this point. What software gives me the best chance.
Is Achronis better ten ghost or drivecopy?
What about just using XP in the desktop to copy files. I dont mind slow Need steady

plschwartz

Mulder this is serious. Its my sons computer and his music and photos and even some school work on on it. He expects me to be able to make things better:)
Need help from Santas el ves:)

plschwartz said:
Chris and John
Thank you
And Merry Xmas and alsohappy holidays

The drive is iffy at this point. What software gives me the best chance.
Is Achronis better ten ghost or drivecopy?
What about just using XP in the desktop to copy files. I dont mind slow Need steady
I can only say the Acronis worked flawlessly for me and I didn't have to buy it (although I probably will anyway for backup--its a very nice product). You can download it for 15 days for free--try it--the worst that can happen is it won't work and you'll have to try another product, but honestly, its about a 5 step process and simple. It asks which drive you want to clone, which drive you want to clone to, whether you want to save the data on the drive your cloning to (this won't matter if you clone old drive to new laptop drive), whether you want it proportional or not (this choice is because if you have a 20 gig hard drive with two partitions, and you clone to a 60, it will make the two partitions bigger relatively or keep them the same size). I just said to keep it the same size. You then just tell it to execute and away it goes--you reboot your computer and it does it all before booting completely into Windows.

plschwartz said:
Mulder this is serious. Its my sons computer and his music and photos and even some school work on on it. He expects me to be able to make things better:)
Need help from Santas el ves:)
Well, you can't screw up the stuff on the old drive (unless you clone backwards! ;) ). If you're worried, just backup the critical data to the desktop first. Once you plug the laptop drive in with the adapter, its just like any other drive hooked up to your computer--you can copy to and from it). Before using Acronis, copy the critical data files on the drive (as oppossed to cloning) to a directory on the desktop. That will give you some comfort that for any reason the laptop drive gets damaged in the cloning process, you'll still have all the critical data to transfer to the new drive--then all you'd need to do is reinstall Windows and the other programs. That's actually another option you can do without using any cloning software, which means you'd have to reinstall Windows and all the programs, but obviously a much longer and labor intensive one. Its much easier and painless to just clone the drive.

BTW--you probably already know this, but your son should have the data on his laptop backuped anyway, so its probably a good idea to copy all his data files onto a desktop first and leave that there (or create an image file of it). Frankly, I prefer just copying files because if he ever lost his hard drive on his laptop, he'd want to selectively copy backed up stuff--at least that's what I'd want to do. This is actually a good time to make a backup of his data since it will be hooked up to a desktop. After the backup, you can then do the cloning with the knowledge that you can't possibly lose the important data.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Mulder said:
BTW--you probably already know this, but your son should have the data on his laptop backuped anyway, so its probably a good idea to copy all his data files onto a desktop first and leave that there (or create an image file of it).
That's what the image is for. FYI, you can browse the True Image partition images just like a disk and extract whatever you like from them. I guess my method isn't looking so stupid right now... :p

JohnWill said:
That's what the image is for. FYI, you can browse the True Image partition images just like a disk and extract whatever you like from them. I guess my method isn't looking so stupid right now... :p
Touche John, Touche! ;)

PS--I hadn't realized you could browse an image file like that. However, in my case (and probably Schwartz's) I have the old hard drive as a backup. Mine is fine as storage--just wasn't working well anymore as a main drive with an OS on it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, if the old drive is failing, it's not much of a backup. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online