Back again. Gaming problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ihatebestbuy

Hello once again,

This site has helped me solve many problems, so once again I call on the vast knowledge here to help again.

I have a Compaq 550mhz with 256mb of ram and a 20g hard drive, running win 98se. I have had many problems with this computer. Most due to overheating. I have added extra cooling and that seemed to help for a little while, until now.

I am an avid gamer, I love to play games on the computer, however if I try to play games on this computer it acts very weird.
For example, during a game of Age of Empires the other evening, my computer decided to just flash and Wham, the game screen was gone, the game was gone and my computer desktop screen was displayed. However my colors had been set to 256, when the screen flickered. I reset my desktop and immediately got a blue screen hang up.

I tried again and it happened again, however this time after the blue screen of death (fatal exception Oe has occurred at 0167:bff9dff) I was presented with a black screen with a small white box, mentioning an error in my run dll and something about a Trid_p3d. Drv.

This happenes whenever I am playing a game, and it is really getting old.

I have ad aware downloaded and I clean my system evey night. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Chris

Bryan

Bryan
I'm not into gaming but I'll ask two questions that I'm sure anyone replying will want to know.

What CPU are you running and do you have it overclocked?

Have you made any "tweaks" to the PC?

BTW, the Trid___ error is associated with the video card drivers for your Trident card. Have you gone to the Compaq site and installed the most recent drivers for that video card?

Ihatebestbuy

Bryan,

I am running a compaq 550 and I havent changed the clock speed. I havent made any tweaks, other then adding memory and dsl (ethernet card).

I will go and see if I have the updated drivers next.

Chris
Go Ravens!

Bryan

Bryan
Also run Dxdiag and see what it reports

Start>Run, key in dxdiag and press enter.

And on the first screen of Dxdiag, it shows you version number of DirectX. Post the version number to a reply here.

Bryan

Bryan
There's actaully a newer version 8.1a, but I doubt that is your problem.

Be sure to run all of the DX diagnostics, too.

Here's what microsoft has to say HERE

Basically move the hardware acceleration slider down one notch or enable palette snooping in cmos(never tried this one so it's up to you)

Ihatebestbuy

Downloaded latest driver for trident and all direct x tests passed.
Is there anything else I can try?

Ihatebestbuy

Ok I slowed down the graphics like the article suggested. I have no clue how to go into Cmos and mess with the palette. I played the game this afternoon after changing teh graphics and it lasted longer, but it still did the same thing at the end. Can someone help me out here, or explain to me how to go into my Cmos and mess with my color palette.

Chris

You sure your overheating problems are gone???

Enter you bios, you should have an option pci/vga palette snoop, should be disabled, try enabling it.

to enter bios reboot, just as pc is booting up

Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).

Ihatebestbuy

Brian,

I entered the bios but couldnt find the palette option anywhere. I looked through all the options, and everything was enabled. I added an extra fan to cool down my comp, I think it helped with the overheating problems. I also downloaded rain. I'll wait for the next suggestion and keep plugging on

Thanks
Chris

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online