1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

back on internet

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by redneck girl, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redneck girl

redneck girl Thread Starter

I run windows xp media edition, I was without internet for about 1 1/2 yrs, I have windows defender and windows live onecare, now that I am trying to update and upgrade my computer and download new things, my computer freezes up, will no longer connect to internet, it will not do anything until I restart in safe mode and restore to a previous point why is that

2. Hughv

Hughv

Windows One Care has most likely expired, and Defender, as well as your AV, is out of date.
    Try disabling or removing these apps while in Safe mode. then visit Windows update.
    I'd also download a good AV, like AVG Free while in safe Mode (With Networking). You'll need to boot to regular mode to install it.
    It's entirely possible there's some other causes, but this might be a good start.

3. redneck girl

redneck girl Thread Starter

what about my registry mechanic, i don't pay for it but it keeps saying i need to renew. could that be causing problems also? where can I get a good free, renewable for free registry mechanic

4. Hughv

Hughv

I suppose it could be causing a problem. Just remove it in Control Panel, as you don't need it anyway. The general opinion around here is that registry cleaners are unnecessary, and often cause more problems that they fix.
    I'll mention, too, that I had several bad experiences with WOC, and have removed it from every PC where I installed it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice