1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Back to win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ChuckTin, Sep 4, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

I have an N5030 which I upgraded to 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 non ECC Ram sticks and it works perfectly.

In Windows 7 64 bit Control Panel > System it shows as 8GB and also shows 8GB in Cpu-Z but running at 1066Mhz, which is a Bios limitation.

It's important to get either 1066Mhz or 1333Mhz DDR3 non ECC Ram (= PC3 8500 or PC3 10600) - faster ram will not work.

You will have to run a 64 bit version of Windows to use all of the 8GB. I have Windows 10 64 bit installed in a dual boot and all the drivers can be found.

If you press F2 just after powering on it will enter the Bios setup and in the System Information section you can see how much memory is installed in each of the 2 ram slots.
    The Bios version is also shown there, please check that you have the latest A02 version.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    123Zbyniek likes this.
  2. ChuckTin

ChuckTin Thread Starter

Good info. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

Finally the information confirmed by the user's hardware.
    This is a clear confirmation in practice that the 2x4GB kit works.
    Allan please confirm whether the memory works in single channel or dual channel mode

4. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Yes, it's in dual channel mode according to Cpu-Z and Speccy.

1333MHz and 1066MHz 4GB x 2 sticks will work but the Bios runs both at 1066.
    I have 2 x 1333Mhz in mine, not sure if 1 of each speed would work, I think it should but haven't tried it. With faster ram it won't POST.

123Zbyniek likes this.
  5. ChuckTin

ChuckTin Thread Starter

I have ordered two 4 GB memory sticks.
    We shall see.

6. ChuckTin

ChuckTin Thread Starter

Memory came in. Picture attached. But I'm having trouble getting keyboard up.
    Took out battery and two screws. Released 3 "clips" along top edge, pictures 2 & 3. But keyboard seems to be sticking at the point where I've put pointer and question mark. Why is it not coming up?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

See service manual pages 23-27.

Attached Files:

8. ChuckTin

ChuckTin Thread Starter

Thank you. That manual seems to say to lift the keyboard edge closest to the touchpad. The you tube video I found says to lift the back edge. Which is correct or does it matter do you think?

9. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

Please read carefully service manual.

First you have to do step 5:
    "5. Slide a plastic scribe between the keyboard and the palm rest.
    Pry and lift the keyboard to disengage it from the three tabs on the palm rest.
    -> pos. 2 on drawing.

upload_2017-9-15_10-18-35.png

Then you have to do step 6:
    "6. Ease of keyboard up and slide the five tabs at the bottom of the keyboard out of the slots on the palm rest." -> pos. 1 on drawing. "
    upload_2017-9-15_10-19-10.png

Move the keyboard gently toward the screen and gently lift it.
    If you change the memory carefully (to prevent the screen from coming into contact with the keyboard), you do not need to unplug the keyboard cable.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195825