1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

back up and f-disk is in near..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ron24151, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron24151

ron24151 Thread Starter

Hello, i had my computer here for about 3 years now, and its getting kind of loaded up, i do all the caring and deleting i can. but w/ the kids playing on it and loading Aim, and all that good stuff, it may be time to reload...

is there a site where i can read how to back up a drive (c) and how to do it? like send all to a disc and pull of and load what i need?

i have a lot of programs that i would like to keep, and they were loaded off the internet, free to try and so much for buying, web addresss in favorites, any way of copying these w/ out writing them all down?

is this making sense?

then when this is all done like to zero it and start over..

so is there a site for this also?

i have a gateway and they call it zeroing..

thanks ron

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you are going to completely reformat and start over, you will need the to reinstall all of your applications.

3. 911

You will need to re-install all the programs that you downloaded from the internet, so you will need to keep the 'setup' files that you got, because everything on your c-disk will get fried. If a program is already installed, you can't just copy it back into your program files folder. If you have a CD or DVD burner, copy the setup files there, Floppys just won't cut it.

I use an external (USB) hard drive, which is like a gigantic floppy. I have a folder named 'downloads' and I save everything I download to it. Then I can install it from there, and always keep the original download. You can get one for about $1 per Gigabyte, if you shop around for sales and rebates ($80 for 80 GB). I just came across this extrordinary bargain.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1775613&CatId=136

4. wacor

wacor Banned

reinstalling can be a pain. too bad there is not a way you could just copy C and transfer it to another hard drive

is the computer acting up?

many times a fresh install is a good way to go but you could always run hijack this and see if there are any infections there

do you defrag and what type of cleaning do you do? disc cleanup or something along the lines of CCleaner?

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you could just "copy C" and transfer it to another drive, you would then just have, what you currently have?? No?

6. wacor

wacor Banned

data but not apps i believe. as mentioned earlier you need the install files

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice