Back up drive not formatted all of sudden?? Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darrklight

I have two hard drives; one a 40 gb and my backup a 120 gb. Today I was about to reformat my 40 gb where my Windows XP folder is located. I boot my PC with the Windows XP disk and get to the screen where it asks me if I want to proceed with format. I do not because there is one thing I forgot to back up onto my 120 gb. I do not do anything at all and reboot. Now when I try to click on my backup drive, it says "drive not formatted, would you like to format now". Now I didnt do a thing to this drive. Why does it say this? I have very important stuff on this backup drive. I need to get it back. PLEASE, is there any way to get back in??? I know the data is still there. It has to be. PLEASE HELP ME. Thanks!

What is it's status in Disk Management?

(Control Panel> Admin Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management)

I have the same problem and have noticed this happened to others from web searching. I found the drive was readable under win98 but it now shows up as D and E drive with identical content on each under Win98. I was able to copy the files on it to another drive. I am in contact with Microsoft technical support about this problem but so far no solutions. I have just about given up on fixing the problem. If anyone here knows how to totally wipe the drive so I can repartition it and reformat it please post how.

If you have gotten to the screen in XP setup that asks you to reformat it means you have passed the one about repartitioning. sounds like you may have wiped the partition by acccident.

Well I ran Fdisk and it says it has one fat32 partition of 49 megs, this on a 120 gig drive. Do you think I can delete this partition and get the 120 gigs back? Bios identifies it correctly.

It sounds like the rest of the drive is just not partitioned which means all the data is gone. My suggestion is just to forget fdisk, and resume the XP install since I assume you will want to use NTFS anyway.

The other option is to spend the money on a data recovery program but they can be pretty pricey.

If the data was there but in NTFS format it would have listed one non-dos partition.

Jtoast are you talking to me? I already recovered the files. I'm wondering if Fdisk will delete the bogus partition and fdisk it properly. I don't want to hose the drive.

If you are going to install XP on it then there is no need to fdisk it. Just boot from the cd and run through the install. The XP setup will walk you through re-partitioning re-formatting.

I see an "undelete partition" command in Partition Magic 8.0. Maybe it would do that and save the data.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!