1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Back up Hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by DaveSS, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveSS

DaveSS Thread Starter

Hi folks,

The other day my free host announced it had to go offline for a few days as they were relocating. It's a free account, so I am not complaining.

However It had got me planning a bit for a bit of disaster recovery. I have all backed up at my end. But if the free host disappears I was wondering if I should be prepared. And the best way to do it?

1) I have signed up to some other free bannerless adless hosts and was thinking of uploading a back up of my site to their system. But not go live. If my free host goes, I thought I could change the DNS and be back up in a few hours if need be. How does this sound?

2) does anyone know a free web monitoring site? The type that tells you when your site is down after a few hours?

Thanks

Dave

P.S. Sorry about all the 'free' mentions, it's just the way it has to be for now.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    SiteUpTime offers free monitoring of one web site. I use it to keep track of a website for where I work.

http://www.siteuptime.com/free_plan.php

EDIT: As for keeping a duplicate site on another free hosting service and editing the DNS records when the main site goes down, you may need to make sure you can edit the records at the critical time. If the records need to be modified through the hosting company's user interface, what happen when the hosting company goes down?

It may take quite a few hours for any DNS changes to propagate to all DNS servers in the world.

3. DaveSS

DaveSS Thread Starter

Many thanks for that link Chuck. And advise. I kind of figured the DNS would take a while to switch over. Even 24 hours would do if the main server goes belly up. It's just having all the files on another free host ready to go, in case speeds things up.

Just worried that having everything stored away on a sub domain might interfere with traffic when the main site is active. As in if my key words like "super keyword" was unique, would a search engine pick it up on the new sub domain?

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!