Back Up hp 2000 notebook w/windows 10 to a WD passport dr.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n56528westsilentlake

How do I backup data on a HP 2000 notebook to a WD passport external hard dr?

I have a HP 2000 notebook with windows 10 . I would like to manually back up the data to an external WD passport hard drive. Need step by step instructions.

It kind of depends on what you are looking for. You could always copy all the data that is on your laptop to the hard drive and then it's backed up. I'll need more information if that's not that case though. Is this a one time deal? Or are you looking for an automated backup system to run daily? Weekly? What data, exactly, do you want backed up? Is it all in one folder? All on your desktop? We need more information to provide a solution :).

n56528westsilentlake

Thank you for your reply:

I will tell you what I do and maybe you can tell what I am doing wrong. First, liked you asked, all I am attempting to do is, once a week or so, back up all the data on my computer to my WD passport external hard drive.

1st. I plug the passport into the laptop. A screen pops up and then on the toolbar I click on "backup".

2nd. Then, while I am still on my homepage I go to my shortcut icon titled "backup files" and click that on.

3rd. When this screen opens I hi-lite all 13 files that I have and want to back up. I do this by a left click and drag top to bottom all the 13 files. The files are hi-lited in blue.

4th. Then I go to the top tool bar and click on "copy to" and, "choose location to copy to", and select backup drive D . A small screen appears and shows backup and copying 23982 items from HP to backup D.

5th It starts the backup and it takes a little over an hours or so and then that screen disappears and so I assume the backup is done. I then go to the bottom right tool bar, on my laptop, and select safe to disconnect. I never get the signal that it is now safe to disconnect the device. I have left it plugged in for hours, and all the time the light on the device is blinking. Eventfully I just unplug the device and use my computer.

6th. I hope this helps you to help me. I do not know if my backup was successful or not and if by simply unplugging the device I have lost the backup data. Is there any way to tell if the backup was successful?

To tell whether or not the backup worked, if you go to your external drive, you should see all your files on the drive.
1. Hold down the Windows Key on your keyboard, then hit the E key on the keyboard. Release both keys.
2. Windows Explorer will open. You should see your external drive here. Click on it and look through it to see your files

It sounds like you are correctly backing up the data. But what you are doing is a full back up. For instance, when you backup everything this week, it sounds like you backup everything again next week. This is very time consuming and it's impossible to tell what has changed since the last backup.

A better and more efficient way to do this is by doing an incremental backup. This would only backup what's changed since the last backup. This would save a lot of time. Some people will do both an incremental and a full back. They will do the incremental daily and the full backup weekly. This happens on 2 different drives.

So it kind of depends on your preference. You could even do an incremental weekly and skip the full. It's whatever will suit your needs best. This depends on how often you make changes/create new files and how important they are.

We generally recommend 2 drives of backup, but it is up to you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online