1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Back up onto ext HDD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trevheik, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevheik

trevheik Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3327 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 477009 MB, Free - 415474 MB; G: Total - 477009 MB, Free - 387856 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4N78
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    I am running a back up program ( Acronis True Image WD edition) that offers me a "back up" or "clone disc". In the event of a crash of my internal HDD and a new HDD being required, what is best to re-build my new internal HDD, back up or clone.

2. Megabite

Megabite

A clone is good if you what to put the Operating System on another HDD say a bigger one or just a different one. You can say keep the data and it will copy all the HDD to the new HDD and you can still use the other one.

But the best is Backup option if your not moving and just want a complete copy of you HDD. It will copy everything including the Operating System. Choose Computer. Be aware it will take a lot of space. But if you ever have problems you can be up and running in no time at all.

3. raybro

raybro

I suggest a clone is the way to go. This would allow you to replace your current internal drive with the external and have everything as it was when the clone was created. What you would not have would be anything created or installed since the clone was created. I this case, if any significant amount or critical work is done which you do not want to lose, It would be necessary to back up such work independently or create a new clone on the external drive.

The advantage of backup images using the full version of Acronis True Image does not apply to the WD Edition. With the full version, one can create smaller incremental images containing only the changes since the original image was created. The WD Edition does NOT have this feature.

To update a backup image with the WD Edition, one must create a whole new image either in addition to or replacement of the existing backup image.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice