1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Back up software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alwrmc, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have a computer with a 2TB internal HD. I also have a 4TB external HD.
    Is there any software that will allow a full system backup to the external HD so that should anything happen I can simply copy the backup from the external HD to the internal (OEM) HD and continue as though it were my "prior to the problem" arrangement?

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    True ... but ...
    It will take many hours for acronis to backup ... and then recover a 2 TB HDD.
    An Acronis backup will be compressed and occupy about 70% of the "used" file space the a HDD.
    But, Acronis can clone a HDD Much Faster than backing it up.

How many HDDs could you install internally ???
    I can backup or recover my Operating System (disc 0) with Acronis in about 5 minutes.
    My Data Drives (Twins) can be cloned in about 15 minutes if one fails

Attached Files:

4. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Let me further explain:
    My current computer/system is slowing down somewhat. It used to boot up in just under a minute. It now takes closer to 2 minutes and a few seconds.
    I am considering doing a reformat and a clean install. I would like to copy/clone/image my current bootup HD to my 4TB MyBook external so that should anything go awry I can use that as a fail safe.
    If I do a reformat & clean install (Win 10 Pro) would I then be able to simply recopy all my folders/files from the external back to the OEM internal HD. I attempted something similar a few years ago and found that some of my folders could not be found by Windows. Apparently in the process they were assigned new/different "locations". Which meant I had to copy the contents of the folders into new folders. Not a major catastrophe, just took some extra time.
    Edit addon: I also have a 256GB solid state drive that I removed from the computer. Can I reformat that like I would a platter HD and reconnect it?
    Hope I am making myself clear, terminology does vary from person to person (smile).

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If my Computer/SSD boots faster than I can pour my morning coffee …. I’m happy :D
    My W7 OS has no data stored … ALL my data is in my Data Drives - including a 3rd USB external ... Z:

The advantage of the SSD speed for me … I can load/open Photoshop from the SSD and several Pictures from anywhere at the same time (with 2 Clicks) in about 1 second.

An Acronis Image would work, but it’ll be huge …. So I’d suggest just Cloning a Backup Drive.

Don’t know about W10 … But a fresh load of W10 to a SSD (or a temporary HDD) is a good idea.
    Then I’d make an Acronis backup .. should be relatively small.

I almost never Image/backup a Working OS … Just never know what junk/problems it’s collected.
    Each recovery, I restore the last fresh drive backup … update it .. and save a new fresh backup.

My OS is heavily loaded … and a 250-256 GB SSD leaves me more than enough spare room to operate in.

I’d suggest to fresh load the old SSD, check it out … Then get a new Samsung 860 EVO ..
    Clone the OS to it and run the new 860.

The new SSDs are much more reliable … won’t wear out as fast.

I’m currently testing a Western Digital Blue SSD … I’m beginning to like it as much as the Samsung 860
    The only question ... Which one is more durable ??

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Whether the backup is a drive image, a clone or even a copy and paste, if you are referring to folders containing installed apps, no. There wouldn't be any reference in the registry concerning them in a new Windows install.
    Data files, yes you could.

Management is usually considered easier though, when data is stored to a separate partition from the os. Few worries about losing data if you have to do a fresh install or an install from a drive image or clone.

And of course, multiple data backups( edit: to different sources) are a good concept if you have data you value.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  8. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Replies noted, thanks to all. Reviewing and considering what and how I want to proceed.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice