back up software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dannyn

what back up soft ware do you all use for xp?
i hate to say it.. but.. i am looking for something like time machine in OS X.. the software is AMAZING!
thanks!
Danny

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I use "CobianBackup" for data files and Acronis "TrueImage" for imaging my OS and programs partition. Both go to a dedicated external hard drive that is only active during backups.

{redoak}

dannyn

ok. thanks.
i would like to do it all in one.. but it may turn out i have to do it that way.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
You could "do it all at once" with "TrueImage." I happen to make additions to my data files daily and very seldom to programs. Also, I have two partitions- one for OS and programs and a second for data files. Therefore, I can use Cobian for just the second one. I can "image" the entire hard drive, if desired.

{redoak}

dannyn

oo ok.. what kind of file do these programs make..
like is it a propitiatory file.. or if i just wanted to go in could i view documents and other things?

Acronis makes a compressed file which you mount and view anytime you want.

dannyn

and if i did have to actually use it how do you reload it..
does it have software or do you have to image your new partition.

You "mount the image" or "explore" the image using the Acronis program and it creates a virtual drive you enter and copy whatever you like which disappears on the next bootup.

dannyn

so rich..
what one do you recommend?
i have a hitachi
and i have other with WD

That is not what I was looking for I know where to get backup software free that is powered by Acronis but it is only for Maxtor or Seagate. Hitachi or Western Digital wrong drives.

That is not what I was looking for I know where to get backup software free that is powered by Acronis but it is only for Maxtor or Seagate. Hitachi or Western Digital wrong drives.
OK I have seen those but they are nor complete and he mentioned wanting to do files and data with the same product which I don't think that little skimped down freebie will do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts