1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Back Up vs Image

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ryes, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryes

ryes Thread Starter

I've never understood the difference. I know a back up copies and compresses files. All I ever hear about image is that its sorta kinda like a snapshot of your computer. I seem to think that you can do a complete restore from an image. I've just gotten an external hard drive and am wondering if I want image or back up software? Is one better than the other? Are they different things entirely? Thanks in advance.

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I'll have a go at that one - I'm sure we all have different views. I believe it is historic, from the earlier windows editions, that they always had incorporated, the backup facility. This, as you said, made a backup ,in compressed form, of your OS. You cold not analyse the individual portions or files. You could then put the backup back on to you computer in its original state. I have not used the MS backup facility for many years, and possibly it has not changed. An image, on the other hand, is a third party program which, again as you say, makes a "snapshot" of the material. The last releases of most of the image programs, include the possibility to select your own level of compression, and to back up/make an image, of all or part of you hard disk. After completion, you can then examine the image and, when the time comes, recover all or part of the image, including putting the whole thing back again. I use Acronis. Whenever I reinstall (frequently with Vista) I complete the basic customisation and then create an image, When I have installed my software, I then make sure it is all working correctly and make another, separate image. (This is not a lengthy procedure) So, I can then test to the limit and, when I (frequently) screw up, I put the image back and carry on. The next release of Vista comes along - and I start over. It has never yet failed me.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the Microsoft supplied backup will NOT restore a bootable system, it's strictly a file backup utility.

Check out Acronis True Image, version 9 has both image and clone capability, as well as a file backup capability. Here is a place you can get either the downloaded purchase or the boxed retail version for $29.25 shipped. Acronis software at NewEgg.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!