1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Back Up?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bigbadwolf666, Jul 23, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. bigbadwolf666

bigbadwolf666 Thread Starter

Im looking to back up my windows 8.1 as it is for emergency reasons.

How can I do back up it in the state it is so if I run into problems I can restore how it is? I hope it doesnt consume much space to do this. Im looking to save it and post it in a cloud in case I ever run into issues.

In a seperate issue I'd like to back up this windows in case I run into problems and I just need to replace a single file so I can restore that faulty single file.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I use Macrium Reflect Free to "backup (to external hard drive) all the partitions needed to restore the operating system."

I also use it to backup my data partition, and it can be used to restore individual files.

Of course, there are other free and for-pay programs that will work just as well or better. I suppose a system backup could then be also saved in "the cloud."

3. bigbadwolf666

I think this macrium might be the solution as i keep hearing about it.

What I originally had in mind was to back up the windows I have and put it in a cloud or usb if necessary. I just have no idea how to do it.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

There are backups which are complete images of the computer
    That manner of backup - say on an external drive - can be used to restore the computer to the state when the image was made.
    It is mostly used for when Windows has become completely un-usable and cannot be loaded or can be loaded but cannot be repaired - even with a repair install.
    One example would be a failed drive.
    The image providing you have the means to boot the computer - from say a Windows 8.1 or whichever OS 7 or 10 for example can then be restored from the advanced boot options

Most complete images do not allow the restore of individual components of the image.
    Therefore with that type of backup it is advisable to keep a separate backup of personal data including favourites etc.
    From that type of backup individual components can be restored.
    So for example, if for some reason your pictures or documents folders became corrupted, then that folder could be restored, or indeed an individual jpeg.

I personally do not use the cloud, but as you say backups can be stored there.

Remember of course that a system image cannot be restored from the cloud, in the case of complete drive failure, as generally when reaching the stage of restoring the image, the computer is not then online

It is all explained here
    https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/windows-10-backup/
    although personally I do not like Acronis, I find it unnecessarily complicated compared with other backups

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say
    It is also explained at greater detail on the Macrium user guide

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Macrium+Reflect+User+Guide

When you have read it if you have any questions please post the query

bigbadwolf666 likes this.
  5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    With Macrium free you can mount the image file and copy files/folders from it.

To do it you need a working windows system or you can boot with the recovery CD/USB you can make in Macrium.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

The one I've been using for a few months now, and have been recommending to others, is AOMEI Backupper. The freeware version works well to create images and, like Macrium, will allow you to restore individual files/folders.

For day-to-day file management, I use Allway Sync to perform a few jobs for backing up data files and profiles to my NAS.

bigbadwolf666 likes this.
  7. bigbadwolf666

Macboatmaster

Just checked acrnois. Its free right? could it be used for windows 7, and 8.1 because it states windows 10?

"What I originally had in mind was to back up the windows I have and put it in a cloud or usb if necessary. I just have no idea how to do it."

What I originally had in mind was to take windows directly from its folder and if I cant load it or have a problem with a file restore it from that back up.

I just have no idea on how to rip the folder( especially since some are system protected) and how to save it, like should I zip it?
    Then comes to question if my windows cant load. I'd like some sort of manual on how to replace such files in dos from boot.

I good question I have been pondering and dont really know or believe.

Is making a back up such as an image. Like the one you described. That saves at a specific time and restored then. Is it a quick process? or very long process? Does it consume the exact memory on the harddrive being used or is much smaller. I dont know why Ive gotten the idea that is fast and that it doesnt consume much space but I find that hard to believe. Also if I create an image can I for instance do a factory restore and restore it to that stage? or use that same image on another computer and restore it all? Seeing all the details of settings and sensitivity of the matter. Such as user settings, windows preferences, desktops, etc... I cant really buy that it will restore exactly the same way. If so, I am way behind in my computer education and this method wouldve saved myself a lot of real nightmares and pc turnmoils.
    I just had a big one and got out of by a miracle and am now trying to prevent that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
  8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That would have very limited value. SFC /SCANNOW would probably do as much. And it has no value for a "cant load" situation. In that case, unless "repair the boot" works, you really need a system image (backup) that you can use to restore.

As has been stated or linked to multiple times above you need a system image backup for when the system is beyond repair, and you need your data backed up for when you lose (or mess up a modification) one or multiple files. Some image backups can be used to restore individual files, but that is not the most convenient way.

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  9. Macboatmaster

I agree and your questions are all answered in the extensive user guide I provided the link to for Macrium
    My advise is as it was when I posted and indeed what my good colleague TerryNet has said
    A full image for when you cannot load or repair windows
    A backup of personal data for when windows is working OK but for some reason - personal data has been lost or corrupted
    I see little point myself in mounting an image to restore personal data
    AND the most important aspect of that procedure is that you would have to keep making the image simply when one single jpeg has been saved to the drive to restore THAT one jpeg file from the image.

I personally cannot see any benefits in relying on an image simply to restore a corrupted or lost file/s

I only remake my image when there have been major changes - such as for instance on Windows 10 a new version

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Also bear in mind that if a HDD/SSD fails completely you need a way to run the Imaging program so you can restore the image onto a new drive.
    This is done with a recovery CD/DVD/USB stick which you make yourself, it's important to make it and keep it safe in case the worst happens, especially if you don't have another computer to make it on !

I agree that keeping a separate backup of personal files is a good idea and only making a new image after a major change makes sense too.

11. Macboatmaster

Indeed - more or less a repeat of what I already posted

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    True. I missed that, sorry.

I should add that I like to make the Image using the restore media, I think it's more reliable than doing it in Windows.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice