1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backed up wav files change to read only

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Shamrock, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I had backed up wav files(as data) on a cd. When I copied them back on to the computer they changed to read only. So when I tried to put them in a different folder I got a message saying 'are you sure you want to move this read only file'. Am I going to have to go thru and individually recheck each file to be archive?

2. brianF

brianF

Unless someone has a batch file for you to run, yes. Anything copied from a cd is checked read only, that is it's attribute once burned to the cd.

Not sure if you could locate them all in one folder and use the attrib -r command to uncheck the read only attribute on just the folder

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

If they stay as read only what does this mean? Are there things I can't do with them that I could as archive?

Would I be able to send them to someone elses computer? Could I make music CD's from them?

4. brianF

brianF

They should play fine, it just disables the ability to edit or change them I would guess.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I don't know where the attrib-r command is but I did highlight them all and then clicked properties and changed from read to archieve and that seems to work.

6. brianF

brianF

attrib -r removes the read only attribute on the files

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

brianF:
    and that is found where?

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Shamrock,
    Go to start>Programs>Ms-dos Prompt and double click on it.
    Type this and press enter
    cd\
    that should bring you to this:
    C:\>

That's the C prompt.
    Copy and paste this in and press enter.
    attrib -r /s *.wav

To do that. Copy as you normally would. Then have a look at the DOS box. On the toolbar Click on the Paste icon to paste the command in.
    this command will remove the read only attribute from all wave files on the C Drive.
    If you have any files on another drive, post back and let me know. I'll write you another command for those.

9. swwelsh

swwelsh

attrib is a DOS command, so you would have to open a Dos window, and then you could run attrib -r *.wav from the directory with your WAV files and I think it would remove the attribute. The way you did it is the fastest way. Actually the files got changed to read-only when you put them on the CD, since cds are read only, they just didnt get changed when you put them back on the hard drive. The archive bit is just for backup purposes, if I remember correctly. When a backup program backs up a file it flips the archive bit so it knows that file has been backed up. Then you run backup only on new or changed files and it looks for ones that dont have the archive bit

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice