1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Background noise on phone line after modem hookup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheHipCat, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheHipCat

TheHipCat Thread Starter

Here's the problem:

We (myself and my room mate) just hooked up a new U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem for Windows (running Windows 98 Second Edition) and have encountered some background noise (static) on our regular phones. We have it on the same phone line, and the static goes away when we unplug the phone line from the modem.

We have troubleshooted the actual phone line and all of its connections, so we are positive it's coming from the modem itself.

The modem is brand new, out of the box for less than 36 hours (at the time of this posting). Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing this or any ideas how to go about eliminating it?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Chris A

Chris A

Does it make the noise when the computer is turned off..

3. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Im betting that either its your device driver for your modem or possibly your ISP. Id try removing and reinstalling the device driver first. After that get your isp to run a Diagnostic on the line. A modem is kinda like a light bulb as far as communications are concerned......Either its working or its not. =) Good Luck

4. TheHipCat

TheHipCat Thread Starter

Yes, the problem persists even while the computer is off, so I'm thinking it's something hardware-wise, not software.

5. Chris A

Chris A

Being that it is new you may want to try returning it or replacing it..

The modem should not be adding noise to the phone line. It just may be defective.

6. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

This is a long shot but bare with me. All phone lines carry a very small amount of electricty. 77volts. And speakers react to being grounded. THerefore they react to electricity. So if the card is somehow grounding to the speaker attached to the modem that would explain the sound.

7. TheHipCat

TheHipCat Thread Starter

I think the best chance we've got is to just get it replaced. My room mate is going to take it back to get the modem exchanged for the same model. We'll see if that works.

Thanks for your help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!