1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Background Noise when PC line out sent to PA.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by JonathanAnon, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned Thread Starter

I get a lot of background noise when I connect my laptop to my PA mixer.
    This only happens when my laptop is connected to a power source. There is no noise when I plug it out and run it off the battery.
    Can anyone explain why this happens and what I can do to fix it?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is the background noise a loud steady hum? If so, it is probably caused by undesirable AC currents in the audio cable shields. The currents are caused because the chassis grounds of the PC and PA system may be at slightly different voltages. Disconnecting the AC power for the laptop floats the laptop's ground at the same voltage as the PA system ground.

You could get fancy and get the hardware to make a fiber optic (S/PDIF) link from the PC to the PA system. There is no metallic connection of any kind between the PC and PA system.

A simpler and less expensive approach might be tor try a ground loop isolator.

3. JonathanAnon

Hey thanks for your reply. The noise is not a hum, but is more random, kind of sounds like a PC booting. Let me have a look at your suggestions and see is there any of them that will work.
    thanks.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Any chance the laptop has a built-in microphone that might be on?

5. JonathanAnon

No laptop microphone. Turned down all inputs/outputs on the recording/playing and still noise.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the laptop have built-in speakers? If so can you hear the noise through them with volume cranked up all the way, the laptop running on AC power and the PA system unplugged from the laptop?

7. JonathanAnon

Laptop has built in speakers. BUT, I never hear this noise through them when they are cranked up all the way. It is ONLY with the PA plugged in. thanks for your help.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I just wanted to eliminate any chances that laptop was generating the noise internally when operating from AC power. The ground loop isolator MAY help out to eliminate the noise.

9. JonathanAnon

Hi,
    I forgot that most DJs now use their laptops for DJing so I googled a DJ website and there seems to be noise suppressors out there for doing just this. The ones I found dont have the connection that I'm looking for but I'm going to an electrical shop today to see if they can suggest something.
    thanks,
    J

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice