1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Background programs?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gary16735, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary16735

Gary16735 Thread Starter

Running Windows 98SE
    These programs are running in the background and I don't know what they are:
    Rnaapp
    Realplay
    Avconsol
    Ptsnoop
    Systray
    Vsstat
    Vshwin32
    If these are not needed or are virus files, how do I get rid of them? Thanks, Gary

2. slipe

slipe

3. Gary16735

Gary16735 Thread Starter

;)Slipe, you did it again. Thanks for the info. Have started using the site and they work. Thanks, Gary

4. ich

ich

It looks like slipe's links show you how to keep them from running on startup, but don't identify them so you'll know what you are preventing from activating (Now if I can only find something like MSConfig or Startup Manager for W2k!)

Found a reference to Rnaapp here that describes it as:
    Recommendation - leave it alone unless you are having problems that reference it, if that is the case, go to the above link for help.

RealPlay is more of the crap that is installed on your system when you install Real Player - I tell you, I've gotten to the point where I'll go without viewing something at all if I have to have Real Player for it. They've always wedged a lot of crap on your system with the install, but now they default to stealing associations for any media, including audio CD's and CHANGE MY PREFERENCES SO THAT AUTOPLAY IS RE-ENABLED DESPITE THE FACT THAT I HAD IT DISABLED!! Personally, give me an option during installation or DON'T DO IT TO MY COMPUTER!! Sorry, I digress. Anyway, it appears to be a Netscape plug-in, although I can't imagine why it has to be loaded on boot instead of activated at need by the browser.

Avconsol, Vshwin32, and Vsstat are all part of McAfee VShield Anti Virus. I found reference to all of them here

Ptsnoop is installed by some modem software to monitor the COM port status, but it doesn't appear to be necessary for proper operation of the modem.

Identifying which (if any) are causing problems is very important while troubleshooting some problems, usually using methods similar to those on the links provided by slipe, and then knowing what they are doing will help identify what to reinstall.
    Based on what I dug up on those files, it looks like they are all legit and, unless your having problems, I'd leave them alone.
    KT

5. hewee

hewee

ich,

I did a custom install of Netscaoe and I did not pick Real Player.

6. Gary16735

Gary16735 Thread Starter

Thanks ich. Between you and slipe, I know what they are and how I can deal with them. Being a beginner, I need to find out these things to keep my investment running the best it can. Thanks, Gary. Thank you also hewee.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice