1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing out of HP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HP loser, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HP loser

HP loser Thread Starter

Have had a HP Pavilion 520c since 2002 and for the most part I have had reasonable success. However, since the HP warranty has run out, I have decided to clean everything HP out of the computer, add a second 80 gig drive and reload with a retail version of Win XP Home with the Service Pack 1 package. The computer has a ASUS A7V-ML 1.09 mother board. My question may sound simple but I can find no technical details on this board. It has 3 PCI slots (ivory colored) and then one more shorter socket (black). What is this slot used for?

2. brianF

brianF

Are you sure the black slot isn't brown, as in a agp slot, is it the top most slot?????
    Make sure you know chipset being used, video card model, etc, to download drivers, as you won't find anything as asus on hp proprietary boards

3. K7M

K7M

If it's real short it could be an AMR slot

4. HP loser

HP loser Thread Starter

Yes, it is brown and the topmost slot. HP Specs indicate that the chipset is VIA KM133. Belarc Advisor indicates that display adapter is S3 Graphics Inc. ProSavage. Since there is no perceivable video card installed, I assume that it is contained on the motherboard. Do you think I might be able to utilize this slot for AGP?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How close is the slot to the side of the case? If it's almost touching, it's an AMR as mentioned above.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Doing a quick search on HP.com, here are the motherboard SPECS with a full picture at the bottom.

You have a 4x AGP slot (brown) which can be used for an add on video card.

When you install the new card, go into BIOS and disable the onboard video.

7. HP loser

HP loser Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info. I have now determined that the on board chipset is a ProSavage (KM133) that supports AGP V2.0, 1X/2X/4X/ speeds, 66MHz PCI. Looks like onboard graphics memory is 32 MB. I have an AGP slot available and the question is will I gain significant graphics improvement by installing a reasonably priced AGP card? After looking around I have seen a Radeon 9200se which supports 2X/4X/8X AGP and has 128 MB of video memory. Any comments?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That should help a great deal on your graphics.

9. datars

datars

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice