1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing stuff up on an External HDD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DropKick74, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DropKick74

DropKick74 Thread Starter

Dell inspiron 1420 and the HDD is a 500 gb iomega

For a long time I've only really kept backups of two things. All my music and my whole documents folder which contains many DVD images (.iso's) and a bunch of my programs I use rarely use but like to keep around for when I need them (occasionally) All in all I have almost filled up the HDD only bc currently I have an entire HDD's worth of files on it from another computer that I backed up and now have the wonderful task of sorting through it all and finding just the stuff I need and taking them to some DVD's but I haven't gotten to that yet so the hard drive has about 30gb's free on it (until I restore those files to the DVD's) My music file is 50gb's large.

Basically my backup system is really simple everything I ever need is in those two areas of my computer so All i do is occasionally about every month I will just click and drag the music folder onto the hard drive and let windows just only copy what was newly added onto the external HDD. Here's the problem I ran into the last time I tried it. It told me there was not enough space on the external HDD and it wouldn't copy over anything... even though really I've only added like maybe a gig's worth of music so I know there is enough space. so my question is how do I handle this. I can't just clear the external HDD because there are thing on the EX HDD that aren't on the computer BUT i don't want to have to individually find each piece of data that needs to be backed up. any help is appreciated. this is my first post and I to start using this as a resource for future questions.

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

You might like syncback (free for home use). http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/ It will only attempt to copy new or changed files once the folder pairs are correctly laid out in the program. There are other advanced options if you choose to use them. I use it quite a bit when I have added a bunch of pictures and documents, and want to back the new things up to my other hard drive

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Be very careful when you set the "instructions!" You may find that using settings under "Advanced" will be the way to go. The support forum is very helpful.

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice