backing up a program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Buffie

I backed up a program to a DVD before I reformatted my hard drive. It was my camera software that I have given to the person I sold my camera to. It didn't work. How do I do this the right way. Something about copying an image file? So my question is how do I back up a program the right way that either I don't have the CD anymore or I have updated software from the internet. Thanks,

Buffie

The Short answer is, You can't

basicly you can back up anything you have created yourself, but If you try to back up a folder from your program files folder and then copy it back to your newley installed pc it just wont work, the folder from the program files folder may only hold as little as 15% of the actual files needed to run an application, during the installation process, many files are scattered to all corners of your hdd to enable it to function. Simply backing up the folder from program files will not drag the other needed files in from the cold.

It's all about preventing piracy too. You can't just 'back up' programs.

In most cases the software license allows you to create a back-up copy of the original disk for emergencies. However, even if you'd done this, the license usually gives you single-user rights which means you can't legally give the original to someone else and still continue using it yourself. That would be the case even if the software was still on the computer and you gave the original disk to someone else.

To back up software you have downloaded from the internet, you have to backup the setup file you initially downloaded. You cannot backup the already installed programme as the above have said.
You say you were after your camera software - what type of software was it/what did it do? The software that comes with cameras is generally poor with better alternatives available for free from the internet.
What do you want? We may be able to point you to a better option.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online