1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bunnyzilla, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bunnyzilla

Bunnyzilla Thread Starter

I have a Seagate external hard drive I use for backing up files from my computers. However, I would like to make an offsite backup of the files on that drive. Would an online backup, like through Carbonite or Crashplan work for this?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Carbonite wouldn't work because it only supports backing up internal hard drives. I don't know about CrashPlan. If you have a lot of data on the drive, it will take a very long time for the initial backup. Online backups will also use a significant amount of bandwidth. Does your broadband plan have a data cap?

3. Bunnyzilla

I'm sure there is a cap (I have Comcast). I'm not opposed to backing up in stages over an extended period of time. I would just like the eventual result to be one local backup (external drive) and one offsite.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Comcast has a 250GB per month cap. The only way you can space out the upload is to manually enable and disable the program. I assume the data is actually changing, so you'd want the offsite backup to have those changes too, right? That means it needs to run continuously.

How much data are we talking about here?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Comcast allows one personal web page space for each Email address (up to 7 addresses) .. at 1GB per page.
    You can use each web page space as a folder in the clouds .. and upload to them.
    I'd only manually upload something when I wanted to back it up.

6. Bunnyzilla

Between 50 and 60GB.

Some of the data changes, yes, but the vast majority does not. It's mostly "archival" storage. Everything for my job is already done on a remote server, so it's mostly personal files.

7. raybro

raybro

Sounds like a major hassle (no offense). I suggest you consider an additional external HDD to backup your backup. That way you have complete control over your data and solid assurance of not losing it.

Redundancy is never out of style.

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I agree about the extra external drive. You get a nice offsite backup by filling the external drive, then handing it to your best buddy to keep for you. At intervals, you get the drive back from him and refresh the backup. It helps if he is doing the same thing and gives you a drive to keep too. Also, make sure you can trust him to take adequate care of the drive.

And make sure you encrypt the contents of the external drives, particularly if you take 'em offsite.

9. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    There are only two types of HDDs made ...
    Those that have failed .. And those that will ... I always get Two Externals for backup.
    Having a backup of a backup saved me one day when the operator of my computer wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and wiped one of them clean.

10. Bunnyzilla

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a second drive and keep it in my office at work. I might still try out Crashplan, but not to back up the external drives.

11. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    It's better if you make your own XHD .. by getting an enclosure and installing a good HDD in it.
    Are you interested in making your own ???

Now's a bad time to go shopping for a HDD ...
    The prices of good HDDs (with a 5 year warranty) have just tripled due to the flooding in Thailand

12. Vembu_StoreGrid

Vembu_StoreGrid

Hi Bunnyzilla,

Buying another HDD and copy data is one quick way of doing backup.

But the problem with it is that over a period of time when you continue to more files to it, you cannot copy the entire disk every time. You would like to copy only the changed files. And you have to make sure you remember to do it once a week without fail.

Instead, you can try automating this by installing a software like StoreGrid. Here is the link to download StoreGrid agent:

http://account.vembu.com/products/storegrid/pro/201108400/VembuStoreGrid_4_0_0_Pro_Client_Only.exe

Just install it on the Windows machine where you have the files. Attach the external HDD to it and configure the backup in StoreGrid with the HDD as the backup storage location.

StoreGrid will do automatically the following for you:

• Will make sure only changed files are copied every time
    • You can enable compression to save storage space
    • You can enable encryption so that no one else can access the files
    • Send you an email when the backup job completes
    Please try it out. If you have any questions, you can send an email to [email protected]

Regards
    Sathish

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

14. Vembu_StoreGrid

Vembu_StoreGrid

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice