1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up auto correct from microsoft word 2002, windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VirtuaJersie, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VirtuaJersie

VirtuaJersie Thread Starter

Totally computer NOT. HELP I have auto correct that I need to back up on a flash drive that I just got, was told to do this so I do not lose my auto corrects as I have so many with work. Lots of short cuts for terminology. Can anyone help me ASAP?? thanks

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...

Double click 'My computer', click tools, folder options, on the view tab check the box to 'show hidden files and folders.'

Click start, search.

Click 'All files and folders'.

Under 'All or part of the file name' type *.acl (*.acl is a 'wildcard' which means 'any filename with a .acl extension--like an autocorrect file)

Click 'More Advanced Options'

Check the boxes for:
    Search System Folders
    Search Hidden Files and Folders
    Search Subfolders

Click 'Search'.

You'll find your autocorrect files...

Plug in your USB key, right click your autocorrect file(s), click 'send to', and select your USB key.

3. VirtuaJersie

all open on the flash drive in jibberish?? Have no clue now what to do? If you can call me I sure would appreciate you walking me thru this. :confused: still

4. The Hound

The Hound

Are you just backing them up? You won't need to open them...just save them for a rainy day (which you hope never comes). If you were to have to reinstall Word (or wanted to install it on another machine and have your autocorrects to use there as well) you would copy the files back into their locations--you might run that search again and keep notes of which files go into which folders, if it ever became necessary.

"A failure to backup yer stuff on yer part don't create an emergency on my part"--The jerk at the IT desk who'll take your call when the crash happens...

"Data you don't back up is data you don't care about." --a Microsoft MVP seen around this forum...

5. VirtuaJersie

I want to copy my files to another computer, specifically my auto corrects. I followed the instructions and still, it opens on the new computer in jibberish, so I do not know what I am doing, obviously, lol. But, I have like over 500 short cuts that I need and to put them in again and still now know how to back up is going to be a problem. I need help... do you have access to my email direct? If so please email me directly. Thanks... Seems HOPELESS at this point, because I don't know what I am doing.

6. VirtuaJersie

Ok thanks, I guess I will have to have my computer tech come out, I have no clue what I am doing. Thanks anyway.

7. The Hound

The Hound

Are you going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\ and right-clicking mso1033.acl, clicking 'send to', and selecting your flash drive?

If yes, are you plugging your flash drive into the other computer (which has the same version of Microsoft Word installed, double clicking 'My computer', selecting your flash drive, right-clicking the mso1033.acl file, clicking 'copy', then going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\, right clicking in the office folder, and clicking 'paste'? (You may get a prompt saying "The file mso1033.acl already exists-do you want to replace it?"--click yes)

I don't think you ever need to open the file--

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice