1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up CD's on DVD??

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bobcom, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcom

bobcom Thread Starter

I have computers on two locations, do some traveling between them, but like to have programs disks to restore software on one or the other with me. (Computers do like to crash - specially on me ) Stuff like a WinXP-copy, Office, Burning software, Recording and Audio software etc. Altogether some 10 CD's, which would nicely fit on one DVD. What I'm looking for is software (preferably freeware) to copy CD's to a hard disk, add a tree structure and copy the whole bunch back to one CD. Is there a simple method for doing this, could Nero (or another burning program) do it for me, would protection codes play havoc with my copies (I am a legal owner of all the software and have the access keys, but I'd use them on copies of the original software) or should I go on carrying 10 CD's with me all over the continent?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I would install all my programs to a seperate partition and then make an image of that partition. When you have problems you can just restore the image.

Rollin

3. bobcom

bobcom Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Rollin_Again. I've been thinking it over, and your solution sounds straightforward and elegant to me, but I still wonder if there isn't a simpler way. My problem is, I'm scared ....less of making new partitions on my harddisks (although I'v got Partition Magic), due to the fact that in my experience my systems and harddisks are ready to crash on me even when I'm not looking at them for five minutes. Might be my imagination, but the Big Window Brother has done little to alleviate my fears. Maybe you could give me a hint on where to find a simpleton's description of a monkeyproof way to add an extra partition to a disk? Most of what I've read is 30% gibberish, 40% "shall I try?" and 30% "What happens if I make a mistake?".

Confidence only works when it's perceived from both sides, but communicating whith a computer is usually is a one-sided affair.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice