1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up data

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by UBAGirl, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

I have a question. I work for an Architecture Firm and we back up our data and drawing files weekly to a separate hard drive. Then each month we switch our hard drives. When I backup everyones data I go onto their computer and copy their documents and drawings files to a new folder each week and give it a name with the date that I did the backup. By doing this it seems to me that I am saving alot of duplicate information instead of using the same file to "copy" to and just updating the new information. My problem is I don't want to overwrite any information. IS this the best way to back up someones data do you think?

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi again UBAGirl,

To me, this depends on how you want to have your archived data stored. Do you want a chronological archive? What is the purpose of the backup? Not to lose data integrity? If you're only wanting to backup for the sake of backup (i.e. to keep a copy if the original dies somehow), I would only keep one copy, maybe a second backup as a plan C. However, if you are wanting an archive of data in chronilogical segments, I would do as you are doing and assign the date to the backup folder/zip/whatever.

3. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

Couple of things to think about when it comes to small business data backup.

1. Do you want to continue archiving the files so that you keep all old versions?

2. Are the desktop pc's connected to a central server or via peer-to-peer or not connected at all?

3. How much money would your company lose if four to five days worth of data were suddenly lost forever?

There are some pretty good and inexpensive options for small biz backup these days. Companies like HP, IBM, and Sepaton make great solutions for any size business. Even Iomega, Buffalo, Adaptec and others make effective small biz solutions called Network Attached Storage. Most of these single box devices come with the software to manage the backups as well, and many can be had for under $1000 for over 1TB of storage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice